[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, do you have any recommendations for really good books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: hqdefault.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
Hey guys, do you have any recommendations for really good books about the Italian mafia? I've read Wiseguy, but I was kind of underwhelmed by it. Can you recommend me some really good ones?
>>
Anybody?
>>
Start with the Greeks.
>>
Thanks a lot, /lit/
>>
>>7590240
I've heard that the godfather is a great book about italian mafia, check it out, it would be a great success im sure. Mario Puzo has a great future ahead
>>
>>7590639

Not with a stupid title like "The Godfather"...
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 551x633) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 551x633
As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to read a mafia book. To me, being reading a gangster book was better than being President of the United States. Even before I first wandered into Pinecone for an after-school hobby, I knew I wanted to read something sleazy.

It was that I knew would entertain me. To me, it meant being somebody in a university that was full of nobodies. Mafioso books weren't like anything else. I mean, carrying it to class, I looked like I did whatever I wanted.

I looked like I double-parked in front of a hydrant and never got even a ticket. I looked like when I played cards all night with my dorm-mates, nobody ever called the cops.
>>
>>7590675
Wow haha thanks for reminding me of this (OC):

As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a Jedi.
To me, being a Jedi Knight was better than being Chancellor of the Republic. Even before I entered the pod races for a hyperdrive generator, I knew I wanted to be a part of them. It was there that I knew that I belonged. To me, it meant being somebody in a neighbourhood full of nobodies.
They weren’t like anybody else. They did whatever they wanted.
Mace Windu. Windu ran the Jedi Council and liaised with the senate and other people for Master Yoda, who was the boss of the Jedi Order.
Yoda might have moved slow, but it was only because Yoda didn’t have to move for anybody.
I was the luckiest kid in the world. I could go anywhere, do anything. I knew everybody and everybody knew the prophesy. Jedis would pull up and Yoda would let me park their speeders. Here I am this little kid, not even ready for the trials and I’m parking speeders!
For me, it was definitely full-time. That’s all I wanted to do. People like Padme could never understand, but I was part of something. I belonged. I was treated like a grown up.
Every day I was learning to score. A credit here, a credit there. I was living in a fantasy.
“What do you think? Aren’t my robes great?”
“My God. You look like a Sith Lord.”
It was a glorious time, and Jedis were all over the place. It was before Darth Vader and the Emperor decided to execute Order 66 and start a war. It was when I met the world, and it was when I first met Obi Wan Kenobi.
>>
Mario Puzo wrote a bunch, including The Godfather. Maybe try those. I also suggest reading autobios of actual mobsters. Not as fulFEELing, but more chilling because real. Try "Iceman: Confessions Of A Mafia Hitman". That dude was bonkers.
>>
The day of the owl by Leonardo Sciascia. One of the first writers to acknowledge Mafia and its political influence. A good writer as well.
>>
There's also Gomorra by Saviano, a book about neapolitan Mafia. I found it Ok but many people loved it, it's more a reportage than a novel though
>>
>>7592772
>>7592799
gee willikers, a serious reply! Thanks, downloading both of them now
>>
>>7590240

Gomorrah
>>
>>7592975
It was made into a really good film as well.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.