[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Having been brought so far by language, Walt [Whitman]
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: 1116389854_0.jpg (8 KB, 194x200) Image search: [Google]
1116389854_0.jpg
8 KB, 194x200
>"Having been brought so far by language, Walt [Whitman] came to realize he could go no further unless he ventured beyond language, which would be the death of poetry."
-Bloom

As I read this I imagine Whitman as someone growing up in the 21st century. Wanting to be beyond language, wouldn't he have been a visual artist directing little indie movies?

Lit vs Vis art thread?
>>
I don't know about poetry, but I'd say that the main advantage prose literature has over visual art is the its psychological aspects. Its ability to give the reader an in-depth look into the mind of its characters. While film can achieve this as well, I don't think it can do it nearly as well as it's done in writing. And of course neither can painting or sculpting, or whatever achieve these psychological aspects.
>>
i've had enough of all this gassposting

what about dfw?
>>
The aural transcends both
>>
>>7590167
Still not dreaming.
>>
File: 1.jpg (1020 KB, 3592x1816) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
1020 KB, 3592x1816
>>7590016
what? are you high

Plus
>Lit vs Vis art

Literature is mostly a visual art
picrelated
>>
>>7590366
>Literature is mostly a visual art
picrelated

Not at all
>>
>>7590016
What he means by that is the rhythmic origin of free verse descending into freeform frivolity
>>
File: signiconic.jpg (204 KB, 1272x762) Image search: [Google]
signiconic.jpg
204 KB, 1272x762
>>7590155
It is time to transcend the gassposting. DFW posting has had its day, it is time for another author with a three-letter acronym.

It is time for a new kind of shitposting, which will transcend both the visual and the semiotic. The time has come for unbridled MZD posting.

>having to click all fucking 9 street signs in the captcha
>>
>>7590595
How about someone who doesn't suck
>>
>>7590016

Astute observation about Whitman's seeming postmodernity. every era tries to claim him in academia. romantics, american realists, modernists and postmodernists all want to get their hands on Whitman. I personally situate him in the Gothic tradition a la Poe. check out his Memoranda During the War, Peter Coviello's edition—especially the notes. it's really dark stuff. almost a shame he's only remembered as a poet; his prose is really off the chain.
>>
>>7590563
Well you got me confused then, aren't letters visual symbols? The war against slam poetry is mostly a war against the translation of the visual into the aural, or of poetry as a "spoken" thing...
>>
File: 1430096128406.jpg (31 KB, 591x517) Image search: [Google]
1430096128406.jpg
31 KB, 591x517
>>7590016
Visual art is the phenomenal transcendental

Logic is the (pseudo)noumenal transcendental

Literature is the result of the proceeding dialectic
>>
>>7590016
Is he talking about emojis?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.