[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's have a thread about worthwhile contemporary poetry,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
Let's have a thread about worthwhile contemporary poetry, maybe without the useless slam-poetry bashing that happens every fucking time. Rec stuff you enjoyed and found beautiful.

I personally adored Anne Carson's Autobiography of Red and Meyer's Beowulf - both of which you can find online without any difficulty. Does anyone else love retelling of ancient tales/myths/narrations? Do you have any suggestion?
>>
>personally adored

Ugh. You make me sick. Sage. Hidden.
>>
>>7589286
I wanted to rant at you but it'd be quite useless. Sorry for not being a native English speaker and not adding three or four layers of irony to my enjoyment of a poem, I guess.
>>
i greatly enjoyed Autobiography of Red. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it so much. it was assigned reading for a class I took on Ovid's Metamorphoses. very heartbreaking book
>>
>>7589329
>>7589232
>greatly enjoyed
>personally adored
>>
>>7589232

I've always liked Geoffrey Hill. Haven't read his recent verse though.

The Word has been abroad, is back, with a tanned look
From its subsistence in the stiffening-mire.
Cleansing has become killing, the reward
Touchable, overt, clean to the touch.
Now at a distance from the steam of beasts,
The loathly neckings and fat shook spawn
(Each specimen-jar fed with delicate spawn)
The searchers with the curers sit at meat
And are satisfied.

(can't find the rest of the verse online)
>>
>>7589232

I didn't like AoR that much; which is a shame because I really liked her Town poems.

I have no idea about other contemporary poetry, however
>>
>>7589380
>>>7589329 (You)
>>>7589232 (OP)
>>greatly enjoyed
>>personally adored
>>
>>7589232
Is this any good
>>
>>7589232
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6CCePrJlaU
This had a pretty big impact on me
>>
>>7589297
>Sorry for not being a native English speaker

You should be
>>
File: 7686785.jpg (136 KB, 1280x696) Image search: [Google]
7686785.jpg
136 KB, 1280x696
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
>>
>>7589232
Anne Carson is wonderful. Did you know it has a sequel? Would definitely recommend it.
>>
File: 90-0x200.jpg (24 KB, 126x200) Image search: [Google]
90-0x200.jpg
24 KB, 126x200
Autobiography of Red is great: A great return to narrative verse. The 1990s is contemporary now?

I found pic related inspiring. I wrote a medium length poem on the blank pages at the back immediately upon finishing it. One of the only books to catalyze such a thing in me.
>>
>>7591885
Not really contemporary.
>>
>>7593280

Not at all

And not good either
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.