[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Instead of reading War & Peace I read Crime & Punishment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: crime-and-punishment.jpg (60 KB, 450x586) Image search: [Google]
crime-and-punishment.jpg
60 KB, 450x586
Instead of reading War & Peace I read Crime & Punishment because it was like 600 pages shorter, did I do good?

pic kind of related but not really
>>
>>7588940

C&P gives less achievement points though.
>>
>>7588940
what did you think of it
>>
>>7588952

It was really intense during Raskolnikov's planning, I got way into the thinking like him which doesn't happen to often when I read but it was also like 1 am when I started it. I don't really know how to feel, I didn't understand the dream sequence where the horse get beaten, but if you read that part it's kind of like an expression of the whole story. Plus the bad guy ends up living happily in the end, all around 10/10 will not put through a paper shredder.
>>
>>7588994
>It was really intense during Raskolnikov's planning, I got way into the thinking like him which doesn't happen to often when I read but it was also like 1 am when I started it.
Man, the exact same thing happened to me.
>>
they're not really similar books at all. they're both great in different ways and once you've read one you should read the other
>>
Read both. And Anna Karenina and The Brothers Karamazov.
>>
I've been reading crime and punishment and I just want to know one thing. What is up with Dostoevsky naming places : "S-----y Lane", " K-------n Bridge", "------y Street", etc. What are the names of these places?
>>
>>7590737
It's a literary convention:
http://ask.metafilter.com/72590/Why-censor-town-names

basically it's a dialed down version of "protect the innocent" or "suspend your disbelief." Presumably with Dosto it was "protect the innocent," since you don't want your street being associated with an axe murderer.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.