[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much one have to read to be able to write something good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1438988371695.jpg (120 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1438988371695.jpg
120 KB, 600x600
How much one have to read to be able to write something good? I know that reading is important for a writer, but i feel that it's possible to write something really good by reading moderately if you have something to say and learned to express yourself not only by reading, but talking to people and writing technical stuff - like would be the case for a lawyer or engineer.
For me this thought of "You need to read an incredible amount to be able to produce something decent" is paralyzing and eventhough i can see some logic in it, my intuition says its wrong and missing a lot of important factors.
What do you think /lit/?
>>
>How much one have to read to be able to write something good?
Somewhat more than you've read, evidently.
>>
>>7588926
bump for interest
>>
no it's right and the only people who claim otherwise are just trying to justify/make excuses for their own lack of reading
>>
>to be able to write something good
>something good
>good

Nice spook you got there.
>>
>>7588926
It's a meme you dingus.

That said, you can barely write a readable shitpost so your hopes of writing a decent novel are pretty slim.
>>
>>7588926
If you read 2 thousand books you can start writing short stories, I guess.

But honestly, I always feel terrified by this idea when I'm writing too. I spent last year reading a lot and I still feel powerless when it comes to writing.
>>
Even if you die writing only one story that you think is absolutely terrible, there is the chance in the future that it'll be discovered in a dig and perceived as good by whatever entity that manages to decipher it.

At this point, your definition of good has to be narrowed down to the audience you want. In the end it's a matter of your own convenience; the truth is whatever you make true.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.