[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Favorite myths.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 480x480
ITT we talk about our favorite legends. I'll start.

My favorite myth from Greek legend is the tale of Sisyphus. Guy had some serious balls. He went and trapped Thanatos (basically the grim reaper) and kept people from dying for a time.

Then the gods got pissed, set Thanatos free, and punished Sisyphus by having him roll a big rock up a hill, only to have it fall back down, and do it again and again until death.

Shit makes for a great tragic hero story. Guy was literally saving lives, only to get punished for life because he stepped out of line. Not all heroes wear capes I guess.
>>
Forgot to mention, the legends you post don't have to be Greek. Any old legend will do, I just like hearing stories from other cultures.
>>
Goatman
>>
If the book of Genesis ain't in your top five books of all time your opinion is pretty much worthless. There is more lore crammed into the first few chapters than every single novel written in the 20th century combined.
>>
>>7586892
>lore

redditor detected
>>
>>7586894
>>>/tv/
>>
I liked the story of Hercules traveling to Scythia and sleeping with a woman whose lower half was as a snake (meaning either a dragon or a trap)
>>
Oedipus Fucks His Mom A Lot is a pretty good one.
>>
>>7586580
I thought the boulder punishment was after he went to Hades.
>>
I like the story where Leda has a one-night-stand with Zeus the Goose.
>>
>>7586580
It's been a while since I've read it but isn't Sisyphus pretty much the opposite of a brave man? I think he only tricked the gods because he was afraid of his own death, which is pretty much the antithesis of heroism.
>>
>>7588799
Sisyphus literally dindu nuffin. Zeus is just a little bitch.
>>
I sadly don't remember their names, but the one about a man who travels to Hades to retrieve his wife, but is forbidden from turning around and looking at her until they're out. He glances back as he exits while she's still in Hades and loses her forever.

Alternatively, the one who carves a statues of a woman and then falls in love with her. The gods decide to make her come to life as a reward for his dedication. The original real life waifu tale.
>>
>>7589205
orpheus and eurydice
>>
>>7586580
>Shit makes for a great tragic hero story.
But one must imagine Sisyphus happy anon...
>>
>>7586580
Prometheus: steals fire from the Gods and offers it to humans. Gets punished eternally. Cool titan.
>>
Procrustes, I love the myths from tessalia, they were the gothic ones, full of "miror".
>>
>>7589361
Fun fact: "Prometheus" literally means "thinking before acting". Take a note there, 4chan.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.