[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the One Thousand and One Nights worth a read or are they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 266x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 266x300
Are the One Thousand and One Nights worth a read or are they only interesting because of their historical significance?
>>
What a dumb question. How would it have historical significance if it wasn't at least somewhat good in the first place?
>>
>>7586172
>e first place?
but not in the second
see the decamoron
see a hundred similar books
they become outdated
>>
>>7586178
The point is if you're asking this question in >2016 then it probably still has some relevancy.
>>
>>7586172
Uncle Tom's Cabin, To Kill a Mockingbird, Brave New World, 1984, Atlas Shrugged
>>
>>7586187
Ignorance doesn't imply a quality (of whatever sort) to what the person is ignorant about. Ignorance simply means ignorance.
>>
>>7586178
I had a blast reading the decameron
Why don't you give it a try and find out yourself?
>>
>>7586216
I'm stuck at a third of the book. The stories are really boring and lame. The ending are supposed to be witty but just make me eye-roll. It's the post-medieval airport novel senpai.
>>
>>7586224
>post-medieval airport novel
It was very popular among merchants at the time yes.
Boccaccio was pretty much the inventor of the whacky airport-novel, but that was an accident of sorts. What he was really trying to do was paying reverence to Dante while still appealing to his time
and that's why I found it interesting.
>>
File: 1432418759832.jpg (105 KB, 640x569) Image search: [Google]
1432418759832.jpg
105 KB, 640x569
Borges loved it
>>
>get burton translation
>fap forever
>>
>>7586157
I see incomplete versions quite often. I mean, editions in juts one tome, about 500-600 pags.
Are they worth the time and money?
>>
>writers who have been influenced by the Nights include John Barth, Jorge Luis Borges, Salman Rushdie, Orhan Pamuk, Goethe, Walter Scott, Thackeray, Wilkie Collins, Elizabeth Gaskell, Nodier, Flaubert, Marcel Schwob, Stendhal, Dumas, GĂ©rard de Nerval, Gobineau, Pushkin, Tolstoy, Hofmannsthal, Conan Doyle, W. B. Yeats, H. G. Wells, Cavafy, Calvino, Georges Perec, H. P. Lovecraft, Marcel Proust, A. S. Byatt and Angela Carter.

What do you think?
>>
>>7586190
The only one on that list that really had historical significance was Uncle Tom's Cabin
But yeah it's shit
>>
>>7586665
No discernible talent
>>
>>7586717
>H.P. Lovecraft
>not talented
>>
>>7586178
>decameron
>not good

stay pleb
>>
File: 1429240858230.jpg (65 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1429240858230.jpg
65 KB, 499x499
>>7586717
>talking shit about Borges

Punishable by death t b h
>>
>>7586717
>borges
>calvino

don't even
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.