[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How are J.D. Salinger's other works?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 250x245) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 250x245
How are J.D. Salinger's other works?
>>
You mean catcher in the rye?
>>
>>7585808
No, the other ones.
>>
His short story collection, Nine Stories, is great. Highly recommended. Haven't read Franny and Zooey.
>>
>>7585883
Thanks.
>>
F&Z has simlar themes/ethos to catcher but promotes a more 'mature' discussion and offers a solution. I liked it
>>
the Nine Stories are so sick, and they're hilarious too
De Daumier Smith's Blue Period might be my favourite short story of all time.

Franny and Zooey is good too, anon is right, more mature than CitR. More spiritual
>>
>>7585803
Raise High the Roofbeam Carpenters and Seymour, an Introduction were terrible. But you'll have some wannabe patrician saying they're his best work.

Franny is good. Zooey is okay. The Laughing Man is his best story and if you care about the Glass senpai, then Perfect Day for Bananafish too.

But it's more of the same style. If you like Catcher you like this stuff.
>>
>>7585803
Nine stories is great. The book just radiates a sense of warmth
>>
I haven't read the Nine Stories but Franny & Zooey is very good.
>>
It is now cool to say that Catcher in the Rye is lousy and his other books are better. Make sure to backhand anyone who says they like Catcher, they're only doing so because they read it in high school.
>>
The Ocean Full of Bowling Balls is surprisingly good. It leaked a few years ago if you can still find it floating around. It's on torrent sites still with good availability. Previously, you could read in person under supervision at Princeton University.
>>
F&Z should be compulsory reading; it's certainly more worthwhile than most of the stuff on the /lit/ starter kit. F&Z pretty much single-handedly helped my realise how retarded my teenage edgy atheist stage was, which I've since left behind. Dialogue in F&Z is its strongest feature -- in fact the novel(la) consists almost entirely of it.
>>
>>7588299
In the time this thread has been up you could have read most of his other works.
>>
>>7588299
Fella just read Nine Stories, it's a lock. there is also an .epub available of his uncollected stories. Haven't read them though. Anyone?
>>
>>7587602
Thems fighting words I loved Raise High & Seymour

I didn't like Seymour at first but I came back to it later and loved it. He nailed the SOC thing there and it's fucking hilarious
>>
File: 1391706112455.jpg (38 KB, 283x283) Image search: [Google]
1391706112455.jpg
38 KB, 283x283
>>7585803
How are they? They are relieving.

Nine Stories is one of the greatest short story collections I have ever read. It is so great because it only has a handful of stories and they are all quality. Dubliners, any of Hemingway, any of Carver, Borges, Kafka, etc. Nine Stories belongs with them. The best description of PTSD I have ever read. I experience frequent PTSD symptoms and I nearly have panic attacks reading Esme. Makes me incredibly sad though, knowing Salinger served as infantry

Franny and Zooey is my favorite book. Others come close, but I have reread F&Z nine times anon and I still love it. I've read Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man twice and on the second read I felt confused on what I was feeling. With Lolita's second read I realized how much the story rests upon presentation rather than substance (the presentation is godly but still).

Franny and Zooey though. I'd tell you to god damn read this thing but honestly I am biased as all hell.

RaiseHigh and Seymour is a hit and miss. Raise High is ok. Seymour an introduction...it is Salinger at his weakest.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.