[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
<At the outset, let me quickly state that my English is poor,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: images.jpg (49 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
49 KB, 384x384
<At the outset, let me quickly state that my English is poor, so excuse me for that>

I suddenly got this urge to acquaint myself with Christianity, through its texts. Yesterday, I downloaded a nice Bible app, which, seemingly, is more like a complete social platform. It also has a great audio narration. That helps a lot, and is such a nice experience. Anyway, I disgress.

My question is, although I plan on gradually moving to more complex stuff, like anthropology, exegesis, philosophy, what other stuff can I read now that will help me understand the Bible better, to put it into a proper context?

I googled and came across a page that gave an 'outline' or 'structure' of Bible. It was of great help. Before yesterday, I had absolutely no knowledge of Christianity. So, that threw some light on what I am reading in Bible and what it means.

I want to take it slow but I want to be able to put what I am reading into a historical context.

Thanks.
>>
>>7585449
you could read a history of the roman empire
gibbon, or whatever the updated version of that is
>>
....Anyone?
>>
OP, you are JUST LIKE ME. It's incredible and I can't believe it, but we are the same person. I am starting to read the bible for the first time just this week (downloaded the epub) after an imense urge for God.

Read Dostoevsky.
>>
File: Bread Pill.png (548 KB, 640x1000) Image search: [Google]
Bread Pill.png
548 KB, 640x1000
>>
File: Advanced bread pill.png (3 MB, 2560x2739) Image search: [Google]
Advanced bread pill.png
3 MB, 2560x2739
>>7587375
>>
>>7585449

Care to share the 'outline'/'structure' resource you found, OP?
>>
try The Secret Message of Jesus by Brian McLaren
>>
I just started reading The Bible this evening! Genesis 1, check. I'm reading "The Literary Study Bible," which includes tons of great analysis from a literary perspective. I'm sure this board would love it.
>>
>>7585449
the god delusion
>>
>>7585449
Harry Potter and the Magical Commandments.
>>
>>7585449
Dostoevsky is good
>>
>>7587379
wtf why did you skip poetry?

all christians need to read st. john of the cross
>>
>>7587784
God what a shallow, shitty, biased book that was
3/10 would not recommend
PS Sam Harris' wannabe intelligectual brain can give me some brain
>>
File: jesus-teaching.jpg (460 KB, 800x601) Image search: [Google]
jesus-teaching.jpg
460 KB, 800x601
>One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples." And Jesus said to them, "You must read the bible and then move onto more complex stuff, like anthropology, exegesis, philosophy. And you shall read all of the jpg of the bread pill. And you shall read all of the jpg of the advanced bread pill. And you shall not come to me but read The Secret Message of Jesus by Brian McLaren. All Christians need to read St. John of the Cross. Dostoevsky is good. I command you to avoid the literature of those that tippeth the kippah for it shall poison your minds with dissenting opinions, but to instead mock and dismisseth them." His disciples heard this and were amazed.
>>
File: disgusting tbh.jpg (46 KB, 367x380) Image search: [Google]
disgusting tbh.jpg
46 KB, 367x380
>>7587375

>kjv bible
>>
File: >Romans.jpg (530 KB, 469x5000) Image search: [Google]
>Romans.jpg
530 KB, 469x5000
>>7588050
>Roman detected
>>
can some of /lit/'s orthobros put together an orthodox reading infograph?

>>7587379
>les miserables
his attitude to christianity is one of patronizing condescension: "christianity was nice and all, but we've progressed. it's like the current year, dude"

you should probably take that off the list
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.