[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where to start on /lit/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: sexc.jpg (2 MB, 1700x2275) Image search: [Google]
sexc.jpg
2 MB, 1700x2275
So most of my reading has been genre fiction (fantasy/sci-fi). Trying to explore a bit more into non fiction, i don't really know where to start though. I have read the sticky which has a lot of good recommendation but it presumes you know what you're looking for to a degree.
Looking for some beginner philosophy or insights of life kind of stuff, however it seems very daunting to people inexperienced in this stuff. So any recommendations for beginners?
it seems like a lot of this stuff has a pseudo reading order to it and i don't want to start in a bad place
>>
>>7585411
start by READING THE FUCKING WIKI YOU ILLITERATE NORMIE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>7585411
discourses of epictetus
>>
Also some information. I am 19 and not too smart, just looking to broaden my perspective somewhat. From the sticky the category that intrigues me most was "Aphoristic", but again, i don't know where to start. Any suggestions appreciated (nothing too advanced).
>>
>>7585427
You can pick up Cioran. He's easy and fun to read.
>>
>>7585413
I have read the wiki? but there are so many and time is tight so i would rather not spend time on something that isn't very interesting
>>
>>7585411
Start with The Tunnel
>>
>>7585434
>>7585415
these seem like good suggestions, but im somewhat worried about anything that's described as 'pessimistic'.I'm a bit of an angsty faggot and wouldn't like to accentuate that
>>
File: 09WCvY3.jpg (98 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
09WCvY3.jpg
98 KB, 960x960
Read these fella:

Meditations - Marcus Aurelius
Essays on Idleness - Kenko
The Zhuangzhi
>>
>>7585456
Well, okay. Cioran is pessimistic in the extreme, but he's also dryly funny, which is the reaon I read him since I couldn't give less of a shit about pessimism. If you want something more vitalistic and optimistic you should try TAZ and other essays by Hakim Bey. It's a 150 pages long book and it may be one of the funniest, most interesting essay collection out there. Fair warning tho, he's an anarchist/hippy weird thing, kind of, so while funny and beautifully written and all that, you'll get a lot of passages about drugs and how to fuck up the establishment and the like so see for yourself. I'm still reccing it to everyone tho.
>>
>>7585456
stop being a massive faggot
but fine, beyond good and evil
then
gtfo
>>
>>7585487
I'll give that a try actually, its short which is always somewhat a bonus for someone dipping their toe
>>
>>7585504
sorry m8 I'm just 2 flaming
>>
>>7585411

Start with the Greeks and maybe some Tolstoy on the side
>>
File: Novellas.jpg (3 MB, 2955x2308) Image search: [Google]
Novellas.jpg
3 MB, 2955x2308
>>7585411

Start with shorter fiction. See if there's an author who interests you, maybe from one of the charts.
>>
File: short story collections.png (2 MB, 1578x1425) Image search: [Google]
short story collections.png
2 MB, 1578x1425
>>7585545

Short stories are good too. Here are some recommended collections.
>>
If you like fantasy/sci-fi I guess that you will like Borges' Ficciones, a short stories collection (there are a few stories in there about literature that might not interest you much, tho)
>>
Also general beginner reading thread I guess.
>>
Related:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
>>
>>7585437

Please never put a question mark at the end of a statement. It turns my inner monologue into American valleyspeak. It's traumatizing, and it will instantly brand you as an irredeemable idiot.

If you want the history of western philosophy for dummies, check out Sophie's World. It's basic, but it's a narrative that fleshes out the history of western philosophy in a surprisingly comprehensive and accessible manner.
>>
>>7585606
Straya' dickhead
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.