[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the difference between justice and revenge?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1
File: 1452440899687.jpg (432 KB, 3504x2336) Image search: [Google]
1452440899687.jpg
432 KB, 3504x2336
What is the difference between justice and revenge?
>>
>>7584951
fucking, that picture
all those people in the background looking, the guy in the cap, the guy in the back seemingly smiling

anyway anon, idk
>>
>>7584951
Justice is dealt only once, revenge is a neverending circle
>>
Depend if emotions are involved.
>>
Justice is legally mandated revenge
>>
>>7584951
Justice is based on law, and therefore logic and all its other prerequisites

Revenge has nothing to do with either
>>
>>7584972
No

Justice does not always have something to do with revenge. I shall give an example.

A retarded or autistic man kills his mother because she didn't bring him the right kind of food.
>Justice: the man pays compensatory damages and is put in an institute. No revenge of any kind; the measure deals justice and compensates the victim's relatives
>Revenge: someone kills the retard
>>
Justice is the weak substitute for vengeance the authorities offer you so that you don't go out killing and fuck with the social order.
>>
>>7584951
>eating off of wooden fucking boxes
>>
Justice is calculated retribution equivalent to the offending act, vengeance is emotionally driven retribution without regard to equivalence.
>>
Obviously it depends on what you mean by "justice". The death penalty and most prison sentences are certainly revenge.
>>
>>7584951
Lol at all their faces
>accidentalflash.jpg

I guess the difference is that justice is by definition morally right and deserved, whereas revenge in certain circumstances is not morally right or deserved.

Also I think this anon is onto something>>7585194
>>
>>7584951
Did some /b/ fag / stalker do this?
>>
Revenge is called "justice" when it seems reasonable to a neutral part out of the conflict.
>>
>>7585225
See >>7584998
>>
>>7584998
Bullshit desu. That "rehab should be more important than punishment" is fucking young. Original justice might have had something to do with compensating the victim; but that compensation could be an economicar (or other kind) retribution or a physical punishment (jail, violence or death) which had to be accepted as legit by the community.
Sorry for my englisj
>>
>>7585251
The question was "what is the difference between justice and revenge". It doesn't matter how long it's been this way, what matters is how we see justice at this moment in time. Original justice was revenge, later compensation was added, and even later the idea that some people are unaccountable for their mistakes. Physical punishment has never been a sort of compensation; traditionally it was punitive, now it is also used as a protection for society and a way for rehabilitation.
>>
>>7585307
>>7585307
>It doesn't matter how long it's been this way, what matters is how we see justice at this moment in time
So if we gon define the concept of State and I live in a socialdemocrat country I must include wealthcare as an essential characteristic of the State in my definition? I be tryna define it from a general perspective.
>Physical punishment has never been a sort of compensation
Although there are other forms of compensation, physical punishment for the criminal can be desirable by the victim just as much as by the whole community; the difference is justice must be aproved by the majority of society. Justice is useful for two main reasons: it dissuades criminals and it satisfies victims or simply those who reject criminals.
>traditionally it was punitive, now it is also used as a protection for society and a way for rehabilitation
Also, but not in many cases. Let's say two friends go mad while an argument and guy A kills guy B. 20 years of prison.
>Protection for society
The murder of B took place while A was mad about something which only A and B cared about. There ain't no real danger for any member of society. A ain't no psycho neither sadistic, he just went mad and regrets it.
>Rehab
Most people give no fucks about rehab desu. All they want to see is the criminal behind bars as long as possible. At least that is the way it goes in my country. A doesn't need no rehab. A guy who killed a kid while driving drunk will go to prison although all he needs is to learn how to not drink while driving.
>>
>>7585251

I'm really disappointed economicar was a typo. I thought you'd taught me a new word, like the financial justiciar.

>>7585213

I've thought about this question before, so I had an answer prepared. Justice and vengeance are both forms of active retribution, meaning they are concepts which demand some manner of satisfaction from another party that is perceived as being at fault. Vengeance is purely or mostly subjective retribution; it is satisfied by whatever means the vengeful party feels are necessary to compensate their grievance, based on an emotional response. For retribution to be "just" there has to be some attempt at objectivity, whereby the aggrieved party (or a neutral arbiter, in the case of the state) attempts to determine what measure of compensation from or punishment inflicted upon the guilty party is equivalent to their transgression.

Objective here is a loose term, since what can be seen as equivalent will be influenced by culture etc. But it boils down to vengeance being based on emotion and therefore subjective and likely unequivocal, while justice contains elements of consideration and rationality aimed at an objectively equivalent compensation.
>>
>>7584951
justice is done for others, revenge is done for yourself.
>>
>>7584951
>>>/his/
>>
>>7585441
>physical punishment for the criminal can be desirable by the victim just as much as by the whole community
Yes, but it's because they want revenge, not compensation; physical punishment of another can never be compensation, because the victim doesn't win anything by it except for the fulfillment of his desire for revenge. Compensation implies the repairment of some sort of loss, but physical punishment doesn't repair, it only damages further.
>Let's say two friends go mad while an argument and guy A kills guy B. 20 years of prison.
>20 years
Not in my country, and there is a danger to society: lower threshold for violence after he killed someone, obviously also very lightly offended which can be dangerous in the future. Also, that's why alternative punishments exist. But anyway, I'm not saying there is no punitive element, there certainly is, but you have to differ it from compensation. Both are parts of justice; revenge is not.
>All they want to see is the criminal behind bars as long as possible.
Which is why we leave justice to professional institutions instead of the petty thirst for revenge of the masses
>At least that is the way it goes in my country
Where you from?
>>
>>7584951
Who the fuck is she eating with? Did she sit there on accident? Was she using that dude as cover? Does no one else realize they're in the presence of that chick from Push? What the fuck is happening.
>>
>>7585544
Well, revenge is also a compensation intended as a satisfaction for the victim imo.
>Where you from?
Spain. Guess you're from the US, aight?
>>
>>7585553
Belgium
And I figured you were from Spain, given the fact that your autocorrect changed "economical" to "economicar"
>>
>>7585561
Kek. So you guys have life bid there? Our government approved it last year for extreme cases.
>>
>>7584951
Nothing because ethics are all a matter of aesthetics.
>>
>>7585569
What's life bid?
>>
>>7585583
Bid is time in prison
>>
>>7585588
Oh
Yeah, we do have life in prison, but it's never actually for their lifetime, as they're often (always?) released prematurely
>>
>>7584951
>Whence things have their origin,
>Thence also their destruction happens,
>According to necessity;
>For they give to each other justice and recompense
>For their injustice
>In conformity with the ordinance of Time.
>>
When it becomes symbolic
>>
>>7585251
Punishment exist between offenders of unequal power. Justice is the actualisation of the word, the agreement made by equal powers beforehand.

It's obvious that you've not only misread the anon you're replying to but also whoever it is you're parroting.
>>
>>7584951

Revenge you take yourself

Justice the applies for you
>>
>>7587506

The state *
>>
>>7584951

Revenge is a dish best served cold;
the other is ...just ice
>>
Justice is based on morality and revenge is based on anime
>>
Perspective
>>
check the fucking OED retard. all you're going to get from 4chan are tainted connotations.
>>
>>7587517

Nuxe.
>>
>revenge is because muh morals muh religion

I'm sick of this meme. There is nothing wrong with revenge.
>>
>>7587722
sure, until it becomes a legal issue. then you'll change your tune.
>>
>>7587727
Laws are a social construct that don't apply to me.

I am the rules.
>>
>>7585595
Funny how that works, in my country life long sentencies are constitutionaly prohibited, but that doesn't judges from cumulating years on a guy from different charges, there was a guy that had to serve like sixty years, and since he was almost fifty yats old i'd mean he'd be there for life.
>>
>>7584951
Revenge is personal
Justice is social
>>
There is no justice, there is no revenge. Welcome to the modern world. Such individualistic notions are not present anymore. The reason the words are still in use is because keeping them alive, and adjusting them to a collective association, they help keep the stability and a sense of legitimation.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.