[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is yo ur favorite fantasy novel? pic related for me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8
what is yo ur favorite fantasy novel?
pic related for me
>>
Voyage to Arcturus
>>
Diary of Anne frank
>>
File: needed.jpg (299 KB, 1342x571) Image search: [Google]
needed.jpg
299 KB, 1342x571
>>7582224
>>
>>7582256
>confusing fantasy with fiction
>being a poltard
>>7582258
>>
>>7582258
Fuck off pleb.

>>7582224
Latro in the Mist - although it's more of an interpretation of the mythic frameworks of Herodotean Greece coupled with historical fiction and meta-fiction.
>>
Brave New World
>>
the master and margarita
>>
File: genreshit.png (153 KB, 1328x518) Image search: [Google]
genreshit.png
153 KB, 1328x518
>>7582258
>>
>>7582258
This DESU
>>
>>7582258

so is
>>7583237
allowed to be discussed here?
>>
>>7582258
hey reddit
>>
The Nane of the Wind
>>
>>7582258

>muh secret club with strict rules of taste

Yeah, it actually doesn't get more pleb than this on the internet
>>
File: STOP-LIKING-WHAT-I-DONT-LIKE.jpg (158 KB, 357x400) Image search: [Google]
STOP-LIKING-WHAT-I-DONT-LIKE.jpg
158 KB, 357x400
>>7582258
>>7583601

>forgot pic
>>
>>7582224
does the left hand of darkness count or is that scifi
does it have to have elves and shit
>>
The Dark Tower is GOAT fantasy
>>
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
>>
>>7583612
OP here, i'd say that counts
sci fi fantasy is welcome too
>>
>>7582258
This person is a guaranteed virgin in real life. There is no fathomable way this person had sex in their lifetime.
>>
>>7584832
>muh benis in bagina
>>
>>7582248
I want to read this so bad.
>>
Wheel of Time, just finished it. Never has such a large gap been formed in my soul from finishing a series. It was, legit, my life. And it's over now.
>>
>>7585714
It srs had me questioning the greatness of Tolkien. I mean, yeah, he created an amazing world, but you can just tell he had a hard time putting that shit to paper. Jordan was something else, man.
>>
>that feel when I absolutely love fantasy but I can't get the past the first three chapters in most books because the majority of fantasy is shit.
>>
>>7585746
But is your attention span really that short? The way I feel about it, there's so much you're missing out on, even if it's not the best written, there's still usually good to get out of a book. And most fantasy takes a good while to get going, I mean, usually, the only fantasy novels that grab me right away are because they're written like smut and always end up the worst in the end. It takes a writer that can really build that minutia to make a good fantasy series, and that can end up 'shitty' when you're first starting out on it, but you need to give it a chance. Again though I don't know exactly what you're reading so I may have missed the mark.
>>
>>7585789

I don't even know anymore, I stopped trying years ago and I'm currently attempting to write my own novel.

I'm extremely hard to please when it comes to magic in fantasy. The more the book attempts to portray magic as a science the faster I get bored. Same goes for if the author simply uses magic as an ass-pull to protect his main character from harm.

Any book that portrays elves and dwarves as more like their original Celtic, nordic, and pagan roots can hold my attention for a bit longer but I'm getting very tired of those races. Any book that is simply using tolkein-esque elves and dwarves I drop.

I unfortunately trusted a friend of mine who recommended me the Drizzt Do'urden series. That first book actually started pissing me off the more I was reading it until I had to put it down.

I think the last "fantasy" story I liked was the White Company. But I don't know if historical fiction counts as fantasy.
>>
>>7585853
I think that you look at books differently than I do. Though I think I get what you mean, for a good while everything I was reading just felt like 'another fantasy book' and that's when I made the switch over to SciFi for a while. I'm not familiar with Drizzt Do'urden, but why did you're friend say they liked it? They connected with that book, it speaks to them on a level, that's cool. I don't know, I feel like I've been reading for so long now that I've, for the most part, gotten over all the recurrent themes in fantasy, I don't look for a story that pleases me or has something new or exciting. The older I get the more sentimental and weird I get in regards to a book being part of someone, a part of the author, part of the reader. It's like there's a little sliver of someone's soul for me to see in there. So even if I'm bogged down in a book, really not even enjoying it at that moment in time, I can't help myself but push forward. If a book is pissing me off, I know I'm just definitely not in the right frame of mind for it, but I usually have a tough time reading anything if I feel that way. I would say though that the only time I get pissed off is if the author is obviously not feeling it which I've also notice happen in most books for a period, especially the longer fantasy series where you can just tell an author is bored with thier own characters, but they usually get over it and it gets good again. Totally rambling, but I know you get me.
Honestly though, and I might be a little biased at this point since I just finished it, but I would def recommend the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I think it would be a great exercise for you. I would explain everything up until around Book 3 as basically back story I felt like I was really wading through it, but then it really takes off from there. With a start like that, it can definitely be a little difficult to get into, but it was way more rewarding than any other book series has ever been for me. And as I said before Jordan beats Tolkien at his own game totally and completely which, being a fantasy nerd, was a slap in the face to everything previously known to me. A good thing to go into the series knowing is just how completely batshit insane Jordan was when it came too his notes, his story, just how tied together every little thing is, he wrote the end first and everything that happens in the books is leading up to that end. Everything. Seriously. Every stupid inane love-triangle, angsty stupid main character bullshit, 'why am I even reading this' "filler". It was a motherfucking work of art orchestra symphony and you don't even start to realize it until you're balls deep in. But yeah, long story short, there's def a lot that you're missing out on if you can't wade through those beginnings.
>>
File: 1424658682634.png (598 KB, 722x525) Image search: [Google]
1424658682634.png
598 KB, 722x525
>>7582258
>>
>>7582258
#3 discredits it immediately
>>
>>7582258
most cancerous thread since Katie which coincidentally happened on the same day one year earlier
>>
File: one-hundred-years-of-solitude.jpg (53 KB, 335x500) Image search: [Google]
one-hundred-years-of-solitude.jpg
53 KB, 335x500
>>
>>7582224
Any good books about wizards? I know Hobbit and LOTR have a top tier Wizard in Gandalf but I want something with Magic as the main focus point.
>inb4 Harry Potter.
>>
A Song of Ice and Fire. I consider the series seven parts of one novel. As it please me.

Also, I can't wait for Winds of Winter.
>>
File: Honoured Enemy.jpg (61 KB, 464x700) Image search: [Google]
Honoured Enemy.jpg
61 KB, 464x700
My favourite fantasy Novel?
That would be Honoured Enemy by Raymond E. Feist
>>
File: neworder3.jpg (27 KB, 445x289) Image search: [Google]
neworder3.jpg
27 KB, 445x289
Is it as bad as /lit/ makes it to be?
>>
>>7588647
>>7588399
>>
It's either Vurt by Jeff Noon or Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny
>>
>>7588399
>>7588399
Asoiaf was an enjoyable series, with the second half of asos being by far the most entertaining part. That being said I prefer the hobbit+lotr. That are the only fantasy series I've read aside from the first 4 Harry Potter books, but that was so long ago.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.