[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wanted to start reading Faulkner, which of his books do you consider
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: william_faulkner_1.jpg (443 KB, 800x1012) Image search: [Google]
william_faulkner_1.jpg
443 KB, 800x1012
Wanted to start reading Faulkner, which of his books do you consider the best, and which do you suggest to begin with? I'm just getting through modernists and lurking /lit/ at the moment.
>>
I like As I Lay Dying best.

As for where to start, I don't know. None of his stuff is "easy." I started with The Sound and the Fury.
>>
sound of the fury

just dive right in

also dont come to /lit/ it's trash
>>
>>7581453
Of the three I've read, As I Lay Dying was easiest- I'd start with that, then Sound and the Fury (definitely one of the best novels I've ever read), then Absalom, Absalom!

I haven't read Light in August though- that's generally named among his best, and I think it's supposed to be the easiest of the four.

His short stories could be another option. The Bear is the one I've seen getting critics hot and bothered.
>>
>>7581480
>I haven't read Light in August though- that's generally named among his best, and I think it's supposed to be the easiest of the four.

I found it the hardest. It is a LOOOOONNNNNNG book. Not just length, but every goddamn thing in the book needs a 10 page description. It's good, just gets really annoying how he feels the need to describe every little goddamn thing.
>>
>>7581480
Thanks, I'll start reading soon in this order. I didn't nessesarily mean the easiest one by te best to start with, rather the most canonical one.

>>7581478
Dunno, I liek it here
>>
Read his Collected Stories mane.
>>
>>7581498
When you do read Sound and the Fury, keep running family tree going on the blank pages at the beginning of the book. It's really rewarding to figure out how all the characters relate to one another on your own.
>>
>>7581488
So Faulkner is like DFW? Might have to check him out.
>>
>>7583680
NO.
If you want to make a bad comparison, Hemmingway is a shitty, sappy Faulkner.
DFW and Faulkner are lightyears apart.
>>
>>7581693
I'd reccomend the same for Absalom.

What is striking abt Faulkner, why he's easily one of my fav authors is the way he deals with memory. A stream of consciousness that isn't masturbatory or self indulgent but something you are entirely part of. The story unfolding through intersecting streams of memory, the network of connections between the rivulets of detail in life
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.