[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of Alain de Botton?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: de_botton_2.jpg (3 MB, 2000x3000) Image search: [Google]
de_botton_2.jpg
3 MB, 2000x3000
What does /lit/ think of Alain de Botton?
>>
/Lit/ most likely doesn't like him because of his incomplete and often inaccurate account of other writers and philosophers. However, I think he plays an important role in at the very least exposing the public to the people he documents.

I haven't read any of his books so I can't comment on that.
>>
He was cucked bald
>>
A long time ago I tried to read his Proust book and I could not get through it, and I don't put books down readily. Something about this guy rubs me the wrong way.
>>
He's basically the Bill Nye of philosophy in that he gets normal people interested in it. Unfortunately, just like Bill Nye often causes scientifically illiterate people to act like they're EO Wilson, de Botton causes idiots who've never even read the Apology to spout off pretentious pseudophilosophical shit.
>>
>>7581355
I like when he is in the School of Life
>>
>>7581355

>harold bloom
>calvino
>boswell

pretty based looking shelves
>>
got me into philosophy so i guess i like him
>>
He only does School of Life for the audience pussy.
>>
>>7581355
I don't know but he's got a MEGA-pleb bookcase behind him.
>>
>>7582735
>Anne Wore
>Don Patterson
>Huxley
Look again.
>>
very hit and miss, but has undoubtedly put out some good stuff. i enjoyed the documentary mini-series based on 'consolations of philosophy', though it was a bit pedestrian.
>>
>>7581416
>>7581379
this
i think most of us would be cool with being him, but he's still shit
>>
so he is like /lit/'s andre rieu?
>>
>>7585604
yeah

he's a fucking turbopleb

does anyone have a pic of the "philosopher's turtleneck" or whatever it was on sale for 200 pounds or something like that
>>
>>7581379
>inaccurate account of other writers and philosophers

Really? How can you say that when you haven't even read him, let alone spotted his 'inaccuracies'
>>
>>7584298
This.
I started reading because he got me interested in philosophy with his School of Life business. I came to /lit/ afterwards hoping I could find elitist taste similar to /a/, and everything worked out perfectly.
>>
>>7581355
hes kind of a faggot whose obviously mad that his dad liked making money more than he liked spending time with him
>>
/lit/ probably hates him, because he's successful and gives you exactly what you expect. It isn't deep, but that's still better than doing what /lit/ does, pretending to be much more erudite than they actually are
>>
>>7585616
Or maybe he is the ultimate patrician,tricking plebs who didnt got anything fromchis videos into buying symbolical goods to play philosopher.
>>
>>7585711
Just like children play medics.
>>
File: gonzo.jpg (38 KB, 320x376) Image search: [Google]
gonzo.jpg
38 KB, 320x376
>>7581355
>not posting the real picture
>>
File: Alain_de_Botton_273.jpg (180 KB, 709x776) Image search: [Google]
Alain_de_Botton_273.jpg
180 KB, 709x776
>/lit/ autists will forever be butthurt about De Based de Botton being influential and successful
>mfw
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>7585616

I thought you were fucking joking.
>>
people are just salty he's a multimillionaire who also inherited a few hundred million while living /leliterarylifestyle/
>>
>>7586277
THese are fucking £10 primark jumpers with a "School of life" tag sewed on
>>
He's probably one of my least favorite people in existence.

>What does [any philosopher] teach us
>"middle of the road bland capitalist/liberal values are the way to go"
you heard it here first people, Plato was a liberal

Also he thinks the categorical imperative is just a fancy way of restating the golden rule which is really fucking dumb
>>
>>7585616
he also sells pens and honey because philosophy nigger
>>
https://samkriss.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/why-does-alain-de-botton-want-us-to-kill-our-young/

/thread
>>
>>7581355

He should just own it and go full bald. Late stage male pattern hair loss just makes people look so frail and old.
>>
>>7586308

>Also he thinks the categorical imperative is just a fancy way of restating the golden rule which is really fucking dumb

That's how I used to say it was when I was a sophomore in high school until my teacher said it was all wrong.
>>
>>7585616
>>7586306
>>7586320

I've just ordered a £35 candle that smells like Plato's Republic. I'm such a patrician.
>>
>>7586351
He already went full bald and now he looks like a fucking goblin. Some people can't be saved, even by a good haircut.
>>
He has a straight up wrist fetish and a forehead that just won't quit.
>>
>>7586416
Now he's gone full bald he looks like a fucking mid-chemo iceberg. He's horrendously ugly.
>>
>>7586308
this

he waters down every philosopher into a kitschy phrase that your average facebook user would enjoy

this is because people read philosophy as "literature". Literature is a degenerate concept. It's a liberal, secular humanist concept that you are supposed to read every "great work" of every period and culture and somehow this will make you a "well-rounded, educated gentleman". This is literally the woman's idea of philosophy - as something to decorate your "personality" with, to make you more attractive.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.