[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>he hasn't read Menexenus Ahahaha you utter pleb, its
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 2940015019780_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg (33 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
2940015019780_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg
33 KB, 400x600
>he hasn't read Menexenus

Ahahaha you utter pleb, its probably Plato's best dialogue.
>>
That's not how you spell Cratylus.
>>
>>7581164
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ps-haF8iN8
>>
>>7581210
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz4bWMxpzUo
>>
>>7581172
Cratylus is shit compared to Menexenus bro
>>
just finished it yesterday op, really brilliant. plato is an excellent writer
>>
Why do you guys think the Menexenus uses clearly anachronistic historic details? Besides the reference to Pericles' funeral speech, I haven't been able to make sense of why Socrates would invent (or relay) a speech containing events that happen after his death.
>>
>>7583239
Because Plato uses Socrates as a mouthpiece?
>>
>>7583247
That doesn't really cut it as an explanation. Why would that explain it?

The only other significant instance I'm aware of is the Gorgias, where the historical references become more and more anachronistic over the course of the dialogue, the result being that we end up traversing almost the whole Peloponnesian conflict, relating the philosophical and political concerns to the concerns of the war the whole way. I don't think that explains the whole of it, but that maybe gets at some element there. But again, why do we have that element here in the Menexenus?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.