[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to buy a bunch of books from Everyman's Library.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 14
File: images (3).jpg (19 KB, 332x443) Image search: [Google]
images (3).jpg
19 KB, 332x443
I want to buy a bunch of books from Everyman's Library. Which books are definitely worth buying?
>>
None of them are worth it at retail. Those things are everywhere. Just keep your pants on and go to a few library book sales.
>>
Is someone trying to make a meme of this? I'm seeing a lot of Everyman threads -- they are very good though.

Really mate just buy the books that you want to read.
>>
>>7581094
>>7581095

dat same time post action. I agree though, someone is definitely memeing this.
>>
>>7581082
Buy their version of Joseph and His Brothers.
Use it to kill your enemies.
>>
>>7581094
B-but that isn't an option, mate.
>>
I was big into Everyman's too until I discovered the superiority of Oxford World Classics and NYRB.
>>
>>7581105
>Joseph and His Brothers
Best translation?
>>
>>7581110
>Oxford World Classics and NYRB.

two paperback only publishers, neither of which can manufacture a good spine? nice.
>>
>>7581110
I'd disagree. I own both OWCs and Everyman's -- the only differences are that Everyman are much nice to read from, and that Oxford (only sometimes) has better supplementary material.
>>
>>7581115
No idea for the best English translation. Apparently the John E. Woods translation is pretty solid, but I haven't read it in English.
>>
>>7581115
John Woods, which is what Everyman uses.
>>
>>7581110
>
There's so little overlap between NYRB and Everyman titles though.

Everyman is better than Oxford if you want hardcover as well.
>>
>>7581125
Is it solid compared to other translations? Just curious.
>>
>>7581110
>Oxford
I've become allergic to that word since I discovered the difference between "color" and "colour." Just want to stick only to US English, though.
>>
>>7581128
There are only two Mann translations into English - HT Lowe Porter who was more or less contemporaneous with Mann, and John Woods who translated most of Mann's works (and all of the major ones) over the last few decades. The Woods translations are completely superior to the HT Lowe Porter ones, so always go for him when possible.

Woods translates a lot of other German stuff as well. Of particular interest coming up is Zettels Traum.
>>
>>7581134
Alright, I'll trust your judgement.
>>
File: 1561616.jpg (25 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
1561616.jpg
25 KB, 240x320
>>7581094
>Buying used books
>Being this poor
>>
>>7581131
Discovering the difference between "color" and "colour"? Are you twelve?
>>
We Tell Ourselves Stories in Order to Live - Joan Didion

She's one of the best journalists of the Fourth Estate
>>
>>7581148
I'm 5 pal. Wow you disgust me.
>>
>>7581143
It's a pretty widely accepted opinion that Woods is just an upgrade to Lowe Porter. See for example-

http://www.editoreric.com/greatlit/translations/Buddenbrooks.html
and
http://www.webdelsol.com/AGNI/ag3-sk.htm

For some more detailed breakdowns. Lowe Porter's prose is definitely more archaic/pompous/stately than Woods, who tends to be more readable for modern readers in terms of colloquialisms and pacing. Woods definitely reads easier and clearer in many spots.

FWIW I read Magic Mountain and Doctor Faustus in both the Lowe Porter and Woods translations and I think Woods is always better for a first time reader. Someone who wants to go really deep into the Mann rabbit hole might, for very idiosyncratic reasons, prefer Lowe Porter in certain highly specific spots, but that definitely doesn't apply here.
>>
>>7581144
>buy old book
>glorious dusty book smell
>retro 70s cover or even older leatherbound edition
>can look at the prices of various currencies on the back and compare how they perform to how they compare today
>my 72 copy of Slaughterhouse V called the Dresden bombing "the worst holocaust of World War II"
old books are fucking great.
>>
File: VwPhA8Q.jpg (867 KB, 1400x5316) Image search: [Google]
VwPhA8Q.jpg
867 KB, 1400x5316
You should get the Divine Comedy one.
>>
>>7581177
I own the 1922 version of Uysses, first editions of BNW, 1984, F451(paperback), Moby Dick, War of the World, DADoES? Gravity Rainbow and many more… yet I still like and prefer Everyman's edition. What is your point?
>>
If post number is 35 you must buy these Everyman's:

Annals and Histories - Tacitus
Fear and Trembling - Kierkegaard
The Temple of the Golden Pavilion - Mishima
>>
>>7581237
You still have to buy them or I'll call you gay
>>
Everything: Mann, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Gogol; if you're into crime fiction, all the Hammett and Chandler and Cain

Nice to have in hardcover: Moby-Dick, Ulysses

Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy
John Updike's Rabbit Angstrom
George Orwell's Essays
Michel de Montaigne's Complete Works (good translation)
Homer's Iliad and Odyssey (trans. by Robert Fitzgerald)
Virgil's Aeneid (trans. by Robert Fitzgerald)
Edward Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
Dante's The Divine Comedy (trans. by Allen Mandelbaum)
Alexander Pushkin's The Collected Stories (good translation)
Albert Camus' The Plague/The Fall/Exile and the Kingdom/Selected Essays
Joan Didion's We Tell Ourselves Stories In Order To Live (collected non-fiction)
Julio Cortazar's Hopscotch/Blow-Up/We Love Glenda So Much

And there's a lot of other good stuff depending on your taste.
>>
By the way, some interesting trivia...

Everyman's was going to publish a nice hardcover of Gravity's Rainbow, but it never happened:

>Around 1990, Everyman's Library acquired a license from Viking Penguin to publish a new edition of Gravity's Rainbow. All titles in the Everyman's Library series include a newly-written introduction. After consulting with Thomas Pynchon's agent, the American editor of Everyman's Library commissioned me to write the introduction to the new edition. I did so; the text was approved by Mr. Pynchon's agent, and I received full payment for it from Everyman's Library. The novel and introduction were set in type, and the announcement reproduced above appeared in the Knopf catalogue distributed in mid-1995.

>The edition was never printed, however, because the license granted to Everyman's Library by Viking Penguin was limited to (if I remember correctly) five years. Viking Penguin reminded Everyman's Library that those five years had already passed; Everyman's Library asked for an extension of the license, but Viking Penguin declined. At this point, Everyman's Library had no legal right to issue its edition, and abandoned its plans to publish.

Source: http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/grintro.html

I hope it actually happens one day.
>>
File: everyman_pynchon.jpg (33 KB, 600x214) Image search: [Google]
everyman_pynchon.jpg
33 KB, 600x214
The cover featured in the advertisement.
>>
>>7581214
>what is your point
That I personally prefer older books, for the reasons listed in my post.
>>
If you're wondering why they have Pynchon's young face on the cover even though, you know... it's because all the dust jackets of twentieth-century books that they publish have the author's photograph on the cover. So they chose their motif and consistency over... whatever.
>>
File: smellcrophone.jpg (59 KB, 750x563) Image search: [Google]
smellcrophone.jpg
59 KB, 750x563
>>7581214
I SMELL LIEEES
>>
File: 1449974368109.jpg (70 KB, 629x800) Image search: [Google]
1449974368109.jpg
70 KB, 629x800
>>7581261
is that cover real?
>>
>>7581261
Christ Almighty. His picture from the Simpsons would have been better.
>>
>>7581837
i vote for this one
>>
>>7581082
only series worth collecting is Library of America. only plebs disagree
>>
File: 1451638361834.jpg (59 KB, 565x575) Image search: [Google]
1451638361834.jpg
59 KB, 565x575
>>7581082
>Everyman's Library
>>
>>7581246
Dostoevsky? I doubt this since it's P&V translation which isn't Superior to M'shack.
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 400x400
>>7581923
>>
>>7583207
Actually, it is.
>>
>>7581177
>>my 72 copy of Slaughterhouse V called the Dresden bombing "the worst holocaust of World War II"
post pic pls
>>
Everyman's the Criterion of books aka good quality stuff that hipsters ruin
>>
File: triggered.jpg (491 KB, 707x800) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
491 KB, 707x800
Oxford, the oldest university in the world, and partly responsible of cultivating the English language into what it is today, could not give two measly shits that your autism leads you to not by their books.

The fact that you cannot appreciate, or at least tolerate, that the English language is something that is in flux, and dependent on various factors including geography, culture and the time it was written, speaks volumes about how obstinate you are.

Try reading some books. Variant spellings of words exist everywhere you look. Fuck you.
>>
>>7583595
replying to
>>7581131
>>
Never buy an Everyman shorter than 600 pages, they only use glue to bind books like that together.
>>
>>7583614
I own Gulliver's Travels and Beloved in EML -- they're sewn.
>>
I think they do sometimes glue the binding, but it's for like, super short books like Heart of Darkness or The Stranger.

I'm getting The Cossacks by Tolstoy from them (novella length) in the mail tomorrow. I'll report with back with pictures.
>>
File: surething.gif (915 KB, 245x285) Image search: [Google]
surething.gif
915 KB, 245x285
>>7581214
>I own the 1922 version of Uysses, first editions of BNW, 1984, F451(paperback), Moby Dick, War of the World, DADoES? Gravity Rainbow and many more…
>>
>>7583332
Proof?
>>
>>7583595
>>7583596
>Oxford, the oldest university in the world
>not University of Bologna
This is why whoever talks in the favor of Oxford disgust me, fucking idiots.
>>
>>7584092
Congratulation on googling "Oldest university"
Oxford is the oldest English-speaking university. Try to not get bogged down in semantics.
>>
>>7584112
this isn't semantics
you were fucking wrong and most educated people know about bologna
redditor pleb cunt
>>
>>7584139
haha, oh boy

I'm sorry to have triggered you there friend

next time try and not let your autism take control of you
>>
>>7584146
>the last refuge
>>
File: WIN_20160114_10_00_25_Pro.jpg (145 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20160114_10_00_25_Pro.jpg
145 KB, 1280x720
>>7583487
no problem
>>
>>7584296
Has to have been done on purpose
>>
File: sewn.jpg (39 KB, 1067x1034) Image search: [Google]
sewn.jpg
39 KB, 1067x1034
Following up on >>7583666

As you can see, the book has far fewer than 600 pp., and the signatures are sewn.
>>
My local library has most of the everymans library collection, which is pretty amazing. It's weird, though, since I live in a pretty ghetto shithole.
>>
>>7583660
Huh
I guess it's only Lolita that suffers that
>>
>>7583614
No they don't, don't spread lies Mr. Penguin
>>
Get Dover Thrift Edition
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.