[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking for literature regarding film making, and analysis. Something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Woman in the Dunes DVD cover.jpg (42 KB, 383x529) Image search: [Google]
Woman in the Dunes DVD cover.jpg
42 KB, 383x529
Looking for literature regarding film making, and analysis. Something that focuses more on the art of film, and cinematography. I've grown a lot of interest in film and would like something that can give me a bit of theoretical knowledge on the subject.
>>
>>7580823
http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=2e2ffe93d98d47078732ab725425c096

u mite enjoy it
>>
Deleuze maybe?
>>
bresson's notes on cinematography

some walter benjamin shit

Cinema 1: The Movement-Image
>>
Schrader's book on Bresson, Dreyer, and Ozu is bretty good. Eventually someone in this thread will tell you to get Sculpting in Time-- I feel like it's slightly overrated because the book doesn't really offer anything pertaining to general film theory and analysis but if you're a big fan of Tarkovsky then you'll enjoy it
>>
As someone who has been doing for the last year the very thing you want to I can tell you that you should really go to dvd and blu ray commentary tracks.

I've watched hundreds if not thousands. As for books, I have a set of interviews which is called "interviews with film directors" that is a pretty good resource for showing differing views on filmmaking philosophies.

If you want to learn scriptwriting, read scripts of especially well written movies. Paddy Chayefsky, David Mamet, Alexander Mackendrick are my personal favorites on that front.

It all depends on your personal taste so look at the films you like and do some research. It has never been easier to find any movie ever made and all the information you need online. Don't be scared to waste your time either.

Good luck. It's much much harder to make a movie than it is to research. You need to have a voice if you want to succeed and that voice can't be banal. If you don't have experience with other parts of the world or other professions then you might want to go out and do something else for a bit before comitting to movies.
>>
>>7580903
>I have a set of interviews which is called "interviews with film directors" that is a pretty good resource for showing differing views on filmmaking philosophies.

like give us some more info on it i want to buy it but it's a p generic name
>>
>>7580913
http://www.amazon.com/Interviews-Film-Directors-Andrew-Sarris/dp/B000K0AH9O

it's literally called that. It's also the second result on google.

You should also check out the Sindey Lumet and Josef von Sternberg autobiographies.
>>
>>7580926
>It's also the second result on google.

you realize google gives people different results correct? all i got were telegraph and slashfilm articles but thanks bro
>>
>>7580928
So film is a collaborative art and you should know that if you are this argumentative and condescending on set, no one is going to work with you unless you're literally the next Kubrick.
>>
>>7580940
Nobody said you were
>>
What kind of films do you like?
>>
Since this thread is up, anyone have recommendations to films similar to teshigahara's?

I don't know anything about cinema, but I liked those a lot.
>>
>>7580960
Tragedy. Got anything to recommend?
>>
>>7580940
sorry /lit/ just puts me on edge

my gratitude was sincere
>>
>>7580968
Antonioni is pretty close in subject matter and film-making precision to teshigahara. I also like Oshima but he's much more overtly political and less concerned with abstract philosophical implications of modern life. Same with yoshida.

A little of Herzog's work is interesting in this way like Strozek but it's very different. If all you want is the narrative aspects I would just read a lot of Kafka and some more Kobo Abe.

>>7580969
Ran, The Deer Hunter, Throne of Blood, Vengeance is Mine, La Dolce Vita, Kagemusha. I have a lot of japanese stuff on my brain right now.
>>
>>7581025
Thanks anon, gonna search for those!
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.