[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As a novice to the hobby, who until recently read not much more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Pynchon-simpsons.jpg (43 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Pynchon-simpsons.jpg
43 KB, 640x360
As a novice to the hobby, who until recently read not much more than fantasy and history non-fiction. I've become interested in gravity's rainbow purely from the synopsis and it being talked about all the time.
I only started reading some of the more classic literature in the past year, so is there anything I should know/read before diving in to it?
>>
>>7580246
Yeah, it's shit
>>
>>7580246
Reading is a fucking HOBBY now?
>>
>>7580246
Maybe read some other Pinecone before going into it? I'd recommend the Frying of Latke 49.
Or just go for it, the worst thing that could happen is having a bad time.
>>
>>7580259
Only if you read for enjoyment. For the majority of /lit/ reading is a chore.
I haven't read Pynchon is he as "wacky and zany" as DFW?
>>
File: 1448888745605.jpg (49 KB, 348x367) Image search: [Google]
1448888745605.jpg
49 KB, 348x367
Posting in an epic troll thread.
>>
>>7580280
DFW is the last guy I'd called 'wacky and zany'

at least in TPK
>>
>>7580246
>hobby

>>>reddit
>>
>>7580246
> novice to the hobby
> purely from the synopsis
If you're serious, there's only a small chance you might like it. Gravity's Rainbow is brilliant in parts, but it's also a convoluted, muddled mess with plenty of loose ends and little in the way of closure or even coherence. He almost never states who or what is referred to but just starts with the funny asides, metaphors, digressions and descriptions, so much of the reading amounts to enjoying the writing itself (he's great at it) and attempting to guess what the hell is happening.

Pynchon isn't an easy author to get into, but if you really want to, I suggest you read V. first. That one is brilliant. Part of it is also referenced in Gravity's Rainbow anyway.
>>
Trash book from a meme author. Hurr durr le wacky pomo adventures of zany rocketman, hurr war is bad and his boners predict V-2 strikes OMG XDD
>>
>>7580246

There is literally already a thread up on exactly this.

Holy fucking shit please use the catalogue you pieces of shit, we don't need the same fucking thread posted 16 times a day.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.