[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: raining feels.gif (233 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
raining feels.gif
233 KB, 500x275
>His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favorite. He never sleeps, the judge. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.
>>
File: image.jpg (115 KB, 694x798) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115 KB, 694x798
>tfw human god

even the gods philosophize...
>>
>>7579790
>Rejects postmodernism

stupid goat
>>
>>7579793
>Accepts postmodernism

stupid david
>>
>>7579752
Did anyone have a good interpretation of this?
>>
File: 1409514041944.jpg (81 KB, 400x387) Image search: [Google]
1409514041944.jpg
81 KB, 400x387
>you will never be thrown into a river by the judge or be young enough to be raped by him

why even live
>>
>>7579799
https://ironicalcoincidings.wordpress.com/2011/07/14/he-says-that-he-will-never-die/
>But why does the violence have to go on for so long? The book is 337 pages long, and they seem very long pages, with all but a few dominated by senseless violence. And yet–this repetition, too, seems part of the point. The judge’s violence, after all, is well-timed; it approaches the condition of dance. It is necessary to see it repeated, in different circumstances, in shifting keys and tempos, before we can recognize it fully as a dance. The novel has to be as long as it is so that it can create an imagined world in which the judge’s final dance is possible.

Throughout the book, the Judge is repeatedly portrayed as a reveller and a dancer. The ultimate control to which he aspires is realised in his dance.

I dunno about the flute, the Judge is a pretty mythological figures, and maybe it's playing into some Pan/Siva imagery.
>>
>>7579829
fuck off , frog shit
>>
>>7579752
>>7579799

I havent read the book, but from what I understand about the Judge and my experience about The Road, McCarthy writes characters that feel archetypal.

The ending more or less confirms this.

Blood Meridian, understood as an apocalyptic inversion of human spiritual pursuits, proposes the judge as someone who is made noble and virtuous through sin

His figurative immortality, his childlike appearance, his indefatigable energy, and mirthful dance all seem to go against nature.
>>
>>7579870

>Violence is, like, a dance [man]

The diploma mill grinds on.
>>
>>7579940
>I havent read the book
>>
>>7579956

yup. I havent.
If you have throw in your two cents.

>>7579947

Not that guy, but theres this.

Dance of Death, also called Danse Macabre (from the French language), is an artistic genre of late-medieval allegory on the universality of death: no matter one's station in life, the Dance of Death unites all. The Danse Macabre consists of the dead or personified Death summoning representatives from all walks of life to dance along to the grave, typically with a pope, emperor, king, child, and labourer. They were produced to remind people of the fragility of their lives and how vain were the glories of earthly life.[1] Its origins are postulated from illustrated sermon texts; the earliest recorded visual scheme was a now-lost mural in the Saints Innocents Cemetery in Paris dating from 1424–25.
>>
>>7579870
Good link, thanks op. I don't get 'the violence going on too long' it went on exactly right!

I really admired how McCarthy blended the philosophical themes & passages into this book. Even without it, it would be a very, very good book & Western, but this was masterful. Almost superior to some Dostoevsky or Mann, in that you didn't have to plough through a dull setting. The final chapters in the bone filled landscape we incredible.

I know all the top 100 lit core starter set charts are derided by some as memes, but so far, every book I've picked up from it (Stoner, Steppenwolf & The Magic Mountain) have been revelations.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.