[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Borges vs Barth: "who's more patrician?" edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Jorge-Luis-Borges-07.jpg (192 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
Jorge-Luis-Borges-07.jpg
192 KB, 1200x800
DFW was influenced by Barth, Pinecone was influenced by Borges. Obviously none of the above wrote in a vacuum, so are there other key influencers to either of them I should look into? Perhaps someone a bit less memey?
inb4 the greeks influenced everyone

Also, as the subjectline states, general Borges and Barth thread. I've read Lost in the Funhouse and a choice few of Borges' stories (including Tlön), and wanting to gauge what would be a valuable next step.
>>
>>7579374
check out Marcel Schwob,
>>
>>7579394
Neat, I downloaded a few of his short stories and will check him out
>>
I read Lost in the Funhouse recently (and posted my thoughts in a thread a few days ago).

In my opinion, based mainly on the content of LitF and the accompanying author's notes, Barth thought he was more clever than he really was.
The titular story was excellent, but for Barth to say all the stories in the collection were 'meant to be taken together' is a load of bull.
Title and Life Story were very weak stories in my opinion.
Night-Sea Journey was very clever, though. And the rest were good. Though Two Reflections and Glossolalia shouldn't really count as stories.

Haven't read any Borges yet, though I will get to it.
>>
>>7579464
I remember that thread, you made a lot of good points. I highly recommend Tlon, Ubqar, Orbis Tertius by Borges. You can find a pdf pretty easily.
>>
File: 1452294810921.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1452294810921.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I also saw these pics in a different thread a few days ago. I'm highly interested in drawing connections between authors' work, as in the case of Borges and Pynchon.
>>
File: 1452294917332.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1452294917332.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>7579529
Completing the last sentence. It's well-memed on here that pinecone was/is interested in worlds where there is larger machinery mostly out of view than what the characters/plot can deal with. So the machinery isn't really the Ultimate Evil that people fight, but rather it informs the world, ideologies, etc as much as anything else does. Creating such worlds is what Borges excelled at, and is where piney pulls a lot of his tricks from.
>>
>>7579525

Thank you very much. I've screenshotted your post and I'll pay special attention to your recommendations when I get there.
>>
>>7579539
Excuse me, where are these letters from? I would kill to read a Ruggles correspondance
>>
>>7579578
They were from a thread a few days ago when folks were reminiscing about the poster they thought was pynchon himself. The above two pics are their only correspondences I saved, and although they linked to a lot of relevant warosu archives I forgot to screencap them.
>>
>>7579581
Interesting. Thank you for the prompt and informative response
>>
>>7579374
>who's more patrician
>memey
>everyone influenced by greeks!

Back to reddit. Quackin like a duck don't make ya a duck, roosterfag
>>
>>7579560
That's just one story, btw. But happy reading, friend.
>>
>>7579578
>>7579581
>>7579582
>>>7549048
Have fun.
>>
Where to start with the Barth man?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.