[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>How is that book of yours coming, anon? When is it going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: 1411913056032.jpg (87 KB, 500x706) Image search: [Google]
1411913056032.jpg
87 KB, 500x706
>How is that book of yours coming, anon? When is it going to be published?
>>
sooon
>>
I see new light and overarching meaning in my work every week.
When reflecting on your writing does this ever happen with you guys?
>>
>>7578562
So you can't be happy unless you're completely ignorant? That doesn't seem fair, how am I supposed to use this picture to gage my intelligence since I can't be sure of it because of my crushing self doubt?
>>
I actually moved past the first word today.
I might even hit a full sentence by the end of the month!
>>
>>7578741
Slow down, turbo! Let the rest of us catch up!
>>
I finished my first draft. I got 66.8k. I'm starting to edit all of it.
>>
>spend hour writing
>only about a page
>it's shit
>throw away
>start over
As soon as I get past this I'm sure it'll be a snap!
>>
I'm writing every day and it feels good. I like what I'm writing even though I know it's complete and utter shit.

Maybe I'll try and publish it next year.
>>
Latest rejection:

Hi,

Thank you for your submission.

Unfortunately, I did not connect with the submitted material enough to consider your project for representation.

I am grateful that you have afforded me this opportunity to find out about you and your project, and wish you the best of success with your current and future creative work. This business is highly subjective; many people whose work I haven’t connected with have gone on to critical and commercial success. So, keep after it.

I wish I had the time to respond to everyone with constructive criticism, but it would be overwhelming, hence this form response. However, there are three pieces of writing advice that I preach to everyone (from which I receive no monetary gain or benefit):

not sure why, but this really made me want to kill myself.
>>
>>7579644
Whoa, wholly wouldn't you post the advice?
>>
>>7579644
Fresh off the inbox:

Thank you so much for querying and for giving me the opportunity to review your work. After reading your letter I’m afraid I just wasn’t hooked enough to want to ask for more.

As you might know, my interests are fairly narrow at this time and I wouldn't be at all surprised if another agent feels differently. For that reason, I encourage you to continue querying and working on your next book.

I wish you all the best with your publishing endeavors.

Stay strong brother, we will make it yet if God wills it. Keep working on new material while continually sending out query letters.
>>
>>7579677
The advice was links to pixar's advice for storytelling.
>>
>>7579696
Oh shit.
>>
How much do you send to a publisher at once? A couple pages or the whole thing?
>>
>>7579714
Whatever they ask for.
>>
>>7579696
aren't the people running the show now basically illiterate and only looking for basic commercial shit? If you're submitting non traditionally structured literary stuff (hence pixar link, hence "it didnt HOOK ME") it needs to come with a cosign from someone actually literate: another author, MFA prog, agent etc. difference between "hey this is anon's ms it's deep" Vs going in dry seems big

No idea though really desu
>>
>>7579763
>aren't the people running the show now basically illiterate and only looking for basic commercial shit?

Yeah, kinda. Not all of them, but for the most part.

> MFA prog

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.....oh man, that's rich. I mean seriously dude, lol.
>>
any good online articles or lectures on basic writing? I've always wanted to write a novel. I know it would be shit because I'm new to reading but I just want some practice, no idea how to go about the planning of it though.
>>
I can't think of how to continue.

I know what to say, but I don't know how to say it. The right words aren't coming to me.

I wish I had a better vocabulary.
>>
i'm not very good at writing but i like to think i'm an "ideas guy". i end up with a ton of notes and there is some pretty dank shit in there but i just don't know how to articulate it in a stylish way. The best thing would be to be able to work with someone , on one of my lesser project, like a ghost writer or a co-writer : we could publish the ebook and split the money 50-50 or i could pay him upfront. anyone got experience with that?
>>
>>7580439
Just write it.

Then do it again.

Then do it again.

Do it until you hate it.

Stow it for a year or so and come back to it. If you think there's something there, write it again.

Ghost writers are for people who've made it already. Idea people are basically do-nothing bricks that don't accomplish much, like myself. What changes that is actually doing something with all those notes.
>>
It boggles my mind to think there are so-called "aspiring writers" in this thread who think they can work a full-time job while also writing something worthwhile. You're literally delusional.
>>
File: 236541238745.png (276 KB, 926x480) Image search: [Google]
236541238745.png
276 KB, 926x480
Why the fuck would I grovel and beg and debase myself to some publishers, the porridge of people, just so they can take my writing and share it with other faggots who will misunderstand it and walk around their dumb lives with my poor ideas all twisted on the rack of their retardation? For money? I'd sooner suck dicks for quarters pushed through the gloryhole.
>>
>>7580649
Yeah you're probably right. Sitting on your fat ass all day, and complaining about the world on the internet is a much better way to live.
>>
>>7578727
all the time.
>>
>>7579635
Good for you anon, keep going! Worst that can happen is that you'll get gud.
>>
>>7580666
kill yourself, frog faggot
>>
halfway and never, im just going to post it on my blog and link it to friends

idc abut being published
>>
Wow, I'm tired of seeing this picture, anyone who sees this image and feels the need to save it is dumb as dirt.

"I'm sad because my brain is just so big" give me a break.
>>
File: 2635721.png (203 KB, 1195x602) Image search: [Google]
2635721.png
203 KB, 1195x602
>>7580685
>>
>>7578759
Its a poem book bb :^)
>>
2.4k words
had 37k+ works but due to accidents they were all lost. Learned from mistakes and now I have it all saved as a mail, on an USB memory stick and ofc on my laptop.
Rewriting everything from memory.
>>
>>7581400
What the fuck happened?
>>
>>7581491
I had it written out by hand, on rolls of toilet paper. Then one day my fat fuck mom took a real big shit and....you can probably see what happened.
>>
File: Laughing-Frog-Meme-07.jpg (25 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
Laughing-Frog-Meme-07.jpg
25 KB, 400x386
>>7581499
>written on toilet paper
>my mom wiped her ass with it
>>
>>7578562
yeah having tattos of a brain in your head its not good
>>
hopefully in a month or two... it's possible, /lit/, stay strong
>>
>>7579644
>>7579683

Ouch. Form rejection letters are the fucking worst.
>>
>>7579763

Yes. You almost need to bypass agents and managers and write to authors you admire and hope beyond hope that they'll A.) actually pick it up, and B.) like it.

Most likely they'll fucking despise you though and block you on all social media and tell the mail never to deliver shit from you again. Maybe even get the FBI involved.

I don't envy anyone trying to get published in litfic nowadays.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.