[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, I saw one time some guy saying the very essential
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: sun.jpg (504 KB, 1181x929) Image search: [Google]
sun.jpg
504 KB, 1181x929
Hey /lit/, I saw one time some guy saying the very essential of The Bible, for 'saving my time's sake' reading it, is this:

GĂȘnesis
Exodus
Deuteronomy
Job
Psalms
Ecclesiastes
Isaiah
Amos
Maccabees
Mark
Acts
Romans
1 Corinthians
Ephisians
1 John
Revelations

So, is this good?
>>
read the whole thing you fucking dip
>>
>>7578529
Nah, there is too much shit I wanna read and I am not a NEET, so it would take too much time
>>
>Reading the Old Testament of The "Bible"
Is there any reason I should do this if I'm not a Jew?

>>7578637
You have the rest of your life to read the Bible or eternity to spend in Hell because you didn't know what was in it
>>
>>7578645
I would probably get back to it after, you know, reading a little bit at a time, but right now I just want, you know, get the 'chore' of it.
>>
>>7578645
To put it in layman's terms the New Testament in relation to the Old Testament is essentially what the new Star Wars movie is to the original trilogy

You can read it as a standalone, but if you've read the Old Testament first you will appreciate references and understand the significance of Jesus within the biblical narrative. Not to mention the fact that the OT is amazing from a literary perspective (an episodic short story collection with hundreds of characters that all tie back in to an overarching narrative, one that deals with the creation of the universe, the first humans and the heroes and saints of these times).
>>
>>7578645
from a strict literature point of view, yes. Countless works allude to the old testament.
>>
>>7578526
>GĂȘnesis
isnt genesis just a bunch of lists
>>
>>7578677
Aren't there a lot of boring and tedious parts, though? Like the genealogies and all the rules?
>>
>>7578695
so you skip the two page long lists of names and read the most read and referenced stories ever told
>>
>>7578693
not really.
there are a few lists of geneology of families, but also how everything started, the creation and shit
>>
File: 1432946751575.png (186 KB, 400x336) Image search: [Google]
1432946751575.png
186 KB, 400x336
>mfw there are people on /lit/ right now who haven't read the Bible, the foundation for all of western lit, yet believe they're able to hold any credible opinion on literature
>>
>>7578720
kill this board
>>
also, what is your opinions on king james bible?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.