[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I become a better writer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 1450327796173.png (454 KB, 1110x1600) Image search: [Google]
1450327796173.png
454 KB, 1110x1600
How do I become a better writer?
>>
File: 1450328005461s.jpg (2 KB, 86x125) Image search: [Google]
1450328005461s.jpg
2 KB, 86x125
>>
write
>>
>>7578116
I deserve that, I guess I should have asked what could I read that would help?
>>
pretty much this >>7578116
also edit now and then
>>
>>7578135

> what could I read that would help?

good literature

and have a pencil out to take notes on what you observe

and have a pencil out to get your own ideas down

and maybe read some poetry too because there are probably no good novelists who didn't read and/or write poetry (though they ended up writing novels because their poems were shit in most cases)
>>
>>7578113
Don't write. Read. And then write. And then feel bad that you can't write as well as the people you have just read. So read more. And then write again and feel like shit. Wax and repeat.
>>
>>7578182
>and feel like shit.
I'm stuck there. How to pass this?
>>
>>7578240
you don't
>>
File: kill me.png (55 KB, 261x651) Image search: [Google]
kill me.png
55 KB, 261x651
>>7578282
>>
>>7578282

this actually

even the great writers often though they were crap compared to their idols
>>
>>7578308
>>7578282
>>7578182

There has to be a better way
>>
>>7578317
There is: killing yourself.
>>
>>7578317
Never stop writing and realise we are never satisfied.
>>
>>7578372
but it's so easy to stop and so hard to keep reading the subpar shit I write!
>>
stop writing and start reading

when you;' think you've read enough, keep reading
>>
>>7578414
I know.
>>
Writing is like running, because if you look back, you're going to run into traffic. Write and don't look back. Editing while writing has been my number one stumble block and is the reason why I have five drafts of chapter one and paragraphs of any other given chapter.
I'm speaking from personal experience here, every writer has their own process that works best for them.
If you stop now, you will never become a better writer.
>>
Always strive to do better than how you've written before and how you write currently. This applies to anything (especially with creative outputs,) not just writing. This leads to the endless struggle; You will never be good enough in your own eyes, but the significance of always striving to do your best has merit in itself. Be aware of and able to acknowledge your progress and growth, keep from stagnation, try (ad infinitum) again. (getting stuck in a cycle of "I'mshitI'mshitI'mshit etc." doesn't help either, but I empathize, as I believe my own writing is also Absolute Shit)

As others have suggested: Read more books, write (duh), receive feedback, improve understanding understanding of language and techniques that can be applied to it, which can be improved through, gasp, reading.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.