[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do people recommend this shallow trash? anyone who wants
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: file.png (253 KB, 315x475) Image search: [Google]
file.png
253 KB, 315x475
why do people recommend this shallow trash?

anyone who wants to get in to pynchon must start with V. and go straight to GR, do not read TCOL49, it honestly put me off Pynchon but when I eventually read V. I realized why he is so respected.
>>
>>7578058
I think about V the way your parents think about you: A lifeless soul/money sucking piece of trash that I'll regret forever.
>>
>>7578076
the character or the book
>>
>>7578078
Book.
>>
>>7578080
what makes you think its lifeless?
>>
>>7578080
damn i havent read it yet, i started with gravitys rainbow (really didnt properly grasp it in all its glory til my second reading) and then went to tcol49. my pynchon backlog iis as follows (v. bleeding edge and against the day). suggested reading order?
>>
>>7578058
Haven't read GR but have read this and V. To me, they were fairly similar in terms of writing quality. Loved both of them. Not quite sure what you found appalling about Crying but admirable about V.
>>
>>7578082
It comes off as pointless. The whole book seems to have nothing to say. Again, as a whole. I will concede that he leaves little puzzles on almost every page that are fun to solve and do lend something to the reading.
>>
It's about a hero's journey that eventually turns into self discovery. It doesn't hold your hand along the way.
>>
>>7578097
Try actually reading next time buddy
>>
>>7578190
>Hurr Durr
This is what's making /lit/ shit.
>>
pynchon himself doesn't like it that much
>>
Inherent Vice is the best start imo.
>>
>>7578808
100% this
>>
>>7578815
I know, right? Unless you don't want to dive right into which ever novel of his interests you the most, start with Inherent Vice. I think it's great, it's funny, and gives a good sense of what Pynchon should read like if you can understand him (which you will in Inherent Vice).
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.