[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some top tier fictions (or non-fictions) on AI, cybernetics,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: e2wa.jpg (418 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
e2wa.jpg
418 KB, 1280x688
What are some top tier fictions (or non-fictions) on AI, cybernetics, cyberpunk, etc. in the spirit of GITS?

inb4 Neuromancer
>>
I have no mouth but I must cream
>>
>>7577872
Yeah, something like this, I remember the game. Didnt know it was based on a short story though.
>>
>>7577859
some philip k dick maybe? just guessing
bump for interest
>>
Philip K Dick
>>
Snow Crash I guess.

Read Neuromancer last week, despite only recently getting into /lit/, so parts of it were like swimming through word soup. Was brilliant in a lot of fun ways though, would recommend it first if you haven't.
>>
>>7577859
Kilgore Trout is good
>>
>>7577859
Need to make an image guide or something. Start with these:

Jean le Flambeur Trilogy by Hanu Rajaniemi (The Quantum Thief / The Fractal Prince / The Causal Angel)
Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan
The Lifecycle of Software Objects by Ted Chiang

Read these before you read The Diamond Age or Snowcrash by Stephenson or whatever else people recommend
>>
>>7578501
go back to reddit
>>
>>7578528
To follow up, PKD is one of my favorites, but not exactly in the theme of GITS. From his work, closest to cyberpunk, are:

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said
Ubik

in that order.
>>
>>7577859
>http://genius.com/6360429

you might find this interesting
>>
>>7578498

Neuromancer is trash and should only be read for historical purposes.
>>
>>7578566
Trash is exaggerated edginess. But it's influence outweighs its quality.
>>
>>7578566
Anon you replied to

What makes it trash? Trying to level up my reading to get into really interesting books, figured the social commentary in sci-fi would be a good starting place.
>>
>>7578566
>>7578573
it's fine it just didn't age well
>>
>>7578573

True I'm being a bit ott but the bad parts marred what little of it that I did enjoy.
>>
>>7578574

Characters are all bland. They all seem to have no motivations and we know basically nothing about them by the end.

The "objective" they all have seems to have no real importance and thus nothing really drives the plot.

His writing style is pretty confusing and you can go pages at a time with only the vaguest notion of what is going on.
>>
The short story "Dog Fight" (included in The Burning Chrome anthology), a collaboration between William Gibson and Michael Swanwick, is one of my favorite "slice of life" cyberpunk stories ever.
>>
>>7578609
Thanks anon

Also I keep seeing people shitting on "genre fiction," does that mean there are relatively few ideas in scifi?
>>
>>7578642
Oh, and here's a link to the story:

http://www.kulichki.com/moshkow/GIBSON/r_dogfight.txt
>>
>>7578643
Nah, it's just try hards that like to feel superior for reading DA CLASSICS. PKD is as good as it gets. Cyberpunk has (mostly) moved away from prose. There is plenty of good SF involving related themes - especially AI. Can you tell me more about what you like?
>>
Moby Dick
>>
>>7578866
I like sci-fi that utilizes advanced technology to showcase problems in society i guess

But i read all the Culture books

Help
>>
>>7578866
P L E B
L
E
B

detected
>>
>>7579036
>>
In my earlier post, forgot to also mention the novella "Silently and Very Fast" by Catherynne Valente. Excellent story about AI.
>>
>>7579063
Grassy ass, ameego
>>
>>7577859
wind up girl
>>
>>7578566
I'm so glad I'm not the only person to think so. It was the worst thing I read all year a couple of years back, and I just couldn't figure out why it gets the love it does on here.
>>
File: Blade-Runner-2-Director.jpg (560 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Blade-Runner-2-Director.jpg
560 KB, 1600x900
OP here
>>7578498
>>7578566
>>7578609
>>7581085
Already read it some while ago, it gives off a good cyberpunk atmosphere but I agree that the characters are very bland, plot is kind of boring and reading the text is like drinking bleach. But it definitely set the tone for the future.

>>7578528
Thanks, these recommendations looks good, will check it.

>>7578539
Yeah, I'm reading DADOES right now, the writing is good but it might be too dated for what I have in mind. But it looks short so I might as well finish it.

>>7578553
Not even sure what but I like it.

>>7578642
>>7579090
>>7579162
Thanks.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.