[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I start to read more? I would like to start reading more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: 1451657053439.jpg (102 KB, 530x394) Image search: [Google]
1451657053439.jpg
102 KB, 530x394
How do I start to read more? I would like to start reading more often. Any tips?
>>
I've found it works well to only read physical books, and set aside time to be "no electronics allowed"
>>
1. pick up book
2. open it
3. direct eyes to ink
4. interpret ink squiggles to meaning
5. do this until book is out of ink squiggles
6. pick up next book
7. see step 2

hard work but you'll get there
>>
>>7577533
Keep your phone in the other room.
>>
Listen to white noise. I like to listen to a rainy cafe on YouTube or websites that do the same thing.
>>
>>7577533
When I want to read the first thing I do is select a book. I choose books based on my personal preference, though sometimes I do step outside of my comfort zone which is often rewarding.

After selecting a book to read, I open it and start reading. If I want to read more I keep reading, if I want to read less I stop reading. If you have a hard time doing this I would suggest contacting your local drug dealer and getting some ADHD prescription medication.
>>
>>7577643

>he thinks ADHD is real
>>
>>7577854
>he thinks ADHD is a myth

It's one of the most researched disorders in academia and It can be diagnosed by brain physiology alone you fucking mong
>>
>>7577854

It is. It's a euphemism for stupid. If you need to be wired on amphetamines just to focus for more than twenty second bursts, you're a fucking idiot. Nothing wrong with that, and people shouldn't really get their panties in a twist when a spade is called a spade.

Eagerly awaiting the angry replies of thousands of geniuses who just so happen to be dependent on powerful psychostimulants to go about daily fucking business without losing focus on the most mundane of tasks.
>>
>>7577965

He posted it AGAIN! top kek friend! xD
>>
depression a euphemism for pathetic. If you need to be wired on SSRIs just to not be a sad loser for more twenty second bursts, you're fucking pathetic. Nothing wrong with that, and people shouldn't really get their panties in a twist when a spade is called a spade.

Eagerly awaiting the angry replies of thousands of geniuses who just so happen to be dependent on powerful SSRIs to go about daily fucking business without being a pathetic loser.
>>
>>7577946
>amateur psychiatrist proudly proclaims his extremely simplistic model of mental illness as being solely IQ-related
>>
For the past few days, every time I want to read I end up going on /pol/ and getting really anxious... :(
>>
>>7577991

Nice misconstruction. I didn't mention IQ. I mentioned ability to focus. For the sake of argument, let's call it ability to pay attention.

Now tell me, what exactly does ADD stand for?

If you'd rather argue that being incapable of paying attention for any period of time is in fact not the same as being really fucking stupid, please do so.

If you need to wait until the amphetamine kicks in before you can reason, I understand. I'll wait.
>>
>>7577973

Pretty much a textbook false equivalence. Pathetic and depressed can't be used interchangeably the same way that stupid and ADD can. Being pathethic is a consequence of depression. Being stupid and having ADD are the same thing.

But whatever, I'll play. Yes, depressed people are pathethic. You're quite right. Oftentimes, they're losers too, although that one is a tad bit more controversial I think.

I'm sorry that reality doesn't care about your feelings, and I understand that the speed comedown is a time of emotional turbulence and lability.

Again, don't twist your panties.
>>
>>7577991
are you actually falling for this bait or am i falling for a meta bait
im getting too old for this shit
>>
Read a hour before you go to sleep every night; take the weekends off if you want to. You
may read more than the allotted hour, but you cannot read less. While doing this, read
whatever you want. If after fifty pages you are not drawn into the book, discard it and move
on to the next; there is no need to read something you're not into.

One of three things will happen. You will get through medium length book very slowly and
finish it in a month; you will get drawn into the book and start exceeding your allotted hour
each night and finish the book at a energetic pace; or you will just say to hell with reading
and slack off and deviate from the allotted hour.

Don't limit yourself to physical books, branch out into audio books; a good narrator can
turn boring or confusing dialogue into bearable dialogue.
>>
>>7578119

I'm the original guy. I sincerely consider ADD a euphemism for stupid, no bait, no tricks, no irony. I have presented my reasoning. Being incapable of paying attention and being stupid are equivalent for most intents and purposes.
>>
>>7577533
develop a habit

start by reading 5 minutes the first day
10 the next
then 15
and so on

you can change the numbers around whatever makes you comfortable just don't start at like an hour if you can't already do that, its just tiring then
>>
>>7577533
didnt Smith argue against group selection?
>>
>>7578206
They are not. You are conflating inability with difficulty and the most common definition of stupid is a general lack of an ability to understand. Someone with ADD may be perfectly capable of understanding things when they are presented with them. I am not ADD before you say.
>>
Set aside time for reading. Actually regiment your time and plan to read for X amount of hours, or X amount of pages, with absolutely NO distractions. You WILL be get bored at times and you WILL want to grab your phone or other electronics because you're not used to this amount of concentration. Just power through it and finish reading to X hours or X pages. You'll get used to it and learn to really enjoy it.
>>
>>7578206
You are simplifying intelligence so much to make your shitty little edgelord claim. For the record I do not have ADD, but I'm also not a spazz mongoloid smegma head (read:you) enough to think that attention span/focus holds a 100% equivalency to intelligence. Take your shit uninformed opinion and go meme yourself.
>>
>>7578251
I think even Dawkins commented on this in some of the newer editions.
>>
>>7578332
>Smegma head

Good one penis breath
>>
>>7577533
Grab the fucking book and read it, fag.
>>
>>7578079
edgyyyy
>>
File: 1446227497991.jpg (327 KB, 1003x796) Image search: [Google]
1446227497991.jpg
327 KB, 1003x796
My reading depends on my situation at home. When my girlfriend is not home for the night I'll drink a bit and read in my living room. When she is home I'll stop at a Starbucks or something and read. Never read near your computer and when you go somewhere leave your phone behind and don't worry about time. Think about the percent of the book you would like to complete. My favorite place lately is Panera Bread because coffee/tea free refills and comfy semi secluded seating with very low music. Starbucks can get a bit loud.
>>
>>7578836
And if you don't read much, don't start out with Ulysses or some shit. Read stuff that highschoolers are reading.
>>
>>7578206
well you might have adhd then (because thats retarded)
>>
File: yeah.jpg (8 KB, 236x276) Image search: [Google]
yeah.jpg
8 KB, 236x276
>>7577541
>4. interpret ink squiggles to meaning

I've never done that before
>>
>>7577970
>>7577965
that's actually an helpful pasta.
>>
>>7577970
You'll never believe it but I was the one who wrote that pasta. I see it posted around a bit. It must be helpful advice.
>>
>>7577970
useless ironic meme poster
>>
>>7578682

Nice rebuttal. It's true.

>>7578262

Yeah, no. You're not going to understand anything complex if you can't focus for more than 20 seconds. Focus is a key element of understanding. What you're essentially saying is that a car without an engine can still have great wheels.

>>7578332

You're the one falling all over yourself with the nasty expletives. You're not really in a position to call anyone edgelord and be taken seriously.

I didn't mention intelligence, nor did I make it a point to say that attention span is all there is to intelligence. I said being incapable of paying attention to anything and being stupid is basically the same thing.

Please tell me how you can be unable to focus for more than twenty seconds and still be not stupid.

>>7580141

Uh-huh, that's great. Are you cranky because you haven't had your lunch booster dose?
>>
>>7577880

>he's gullible enough to buy into the propaganda.
>he's an easily fooled, easily led mark
>he's still falling for the ADHD meme
>>
>>7580190
yes, that is an odd selection of words to describe squiggle recognition algorithms.
>>
>>7577533
it gets easier.
Every day it gets a little easier.
But you have to run every day.
This is the difficulty.
But than it will get easier.
>>
>>7578406
Watch your language, Elliott.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.