[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
thoughts on the literature of Neil Gaiman?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 4
File: Neil-Gaiman-3-Sm.jpg (265 KB, 680x1020) Image search: [Google]
Neil-Gaiman-3-Sm.jpg
265 KB, 680x1020
thoughts on the literature of Neil Gaiman?
>>
pretty shite

a study in emerald was cute
>>
>>7577332
The Ocean at the End of the Lane was neat, imo. And I really enjoyed the Sandman comics. He's good at what he does but has little literary merit.
>>
>>7577346
explain exactly why's he's shit? i love his work
>>
>>7577332
Worse than Stephen King.
>>
>>7577332
one of the greater literary minds of the 21st and 20th century desu senpai
>>
>>7577332
There's a difference between literature and books.

Neil Gaiman has written no literature.
>>
>>7577375
explain exactly how he hasn't written literature? you honestly sound like a pretentious lit memer
>>
>>7577386
Tread lightly bro, he just finished animal farm and isn't afraid to show it
>>
>>7577386

There's just no art to what he does man.
>>
>>7577375
No, there's not: it's an arbitrary distinction made by pedants, posers, and pretentious losers.
>>
>>7577396
Read sandman you git
>>
>>7577375
please go
>>
>>7577386

Stop with them new meme to call everyone who doesn't agree that your favorite books are not literature.

He does not write great literature. You can still like it. That's okay.

Stop calling people pretentious because they don't like what you like.
>>
>>7577386
you honestly sound like you frequent r/books.

"Literature, a body of written works. The name has traditionally been applied to those imaginative works of poetry and prose distinguished by the intentions of their authors and the perceived aesthetic excellence of their execution"

>intentions of the author
his intentions are to write pulp.

>perceived aesthetic excellence of their execution
I perceive none, just as I perceive you as a faggot.
>>
He's very good. His earlier stuff like Sandman and Neverwhere and Fragile Things are his best. I fear that he may have fallen into the trap of drinking his own kool aid.
>>
>>7577410

Did you just refer a comic book? Holy fucking shit, this has to be a troll thread.
>>
>>7577410
Sandman is just Mythological namedropping: The cartoon. Just referencing a bunch of things doesn't make it good.
>>
>>7577441
/lit/ is dead
it's over lads
>>
>>7577424
ooh, quotations, it must be true
>>
>>7577394
I read animal farm in 5th grade. My teacher caught me with it and asked where I got it. I showed him his own name ("Mr. Olsen") in sharpie on the inside cover and he was horrified. "This is not appropriate for you! It shouldn't have been on that shelf, please give it back." "I'm rereading it, I finished it yesterday and I quite liked it...." He confiscated it anyway and gave me The Giver instead.

I still have that copy, he gave it to me at the end of the year with an apology note, which I lost, and would much rather have.

That was also the year I won my first award for writing :')

Thanks for initiating that feels train, Anon.
>>
>>7577452

It is true. You are a faggot.
>>
>>7577361
ham-fisted prose, high-concept riding, trying too hard to sound clever but failing and ending up in either juvenile or cringey territory. which is a shame because he's actually well-read and able to synthesize a lot of disparate concepts together very well, and can and has done very interesting structural hijinks (but I guess that's easier in comics too), it's just that he's no good at prose, almost like he had no practice before getting into it. his short stories are a lot better than his longer prose, but only serviceable, by no means remarkable. it's why Sandman is good, he doesn't have to have his prose do the heavy lifting. but even there it shows, like at the end of the Shakespeare side-arc, when they're performing Midsummer's Night, he has this almost-beautiful sentiment that's completely ruined by the way he has a character say it, in the most trite way possible that just strips it of any honesty it might have had were it written any better.

interesting guy anyway. heard he fucks a qt 3.14 indie singer or something. i wish he did movies instead.
>>
>>7577332
I love Neil Gaiman. He's like me, Intelligent, nihilistic, with a wicked sense of humor.
>>
>>7577441
Yeah, a literary comic book with beautiful art. Like I give a shit what you think is literature, you're probably still struggling through catcher in the rye like the rest of the babbies on this board

>>7577448
Funny how that would also apply to meme trash like Ulysses, but don't let me burst your patrician bubble
>>
>>7577452

It's the definition of a word you dumb cunt.
>>
>>7577475
Holy shit fuck off with your overused unimaginative shitty fucking memes. The same utter wank posted in every single thread, do you think you're being clever? Funny? No you're just pathetic. Kill yourself. No, don't reply. Don't act like you've goaded me into being epicly rused, just kill yourself. Do it now. Painfully.
>>
>>7577470

Oh he's all aboard the movie train. He's been trying to get American Gods made for years and it's not happening. Last I heard it got picked up by HBO, but they've done zero casting for it. Rumor has it, Neil doesn't want to give up any creative control.

Once it does happen, and it will, it'll be all downhill for good old Neil "I want to be Stephen King" Gaiman. Then he and his buddy Chuck "I want to be slightly better than Stephen King" Palahniuk can have cool lunches together.
>>
>>7577483

Just stop. This person is beyond stupid. They're beyond help.
>>
>>7577485
This board is trash. Memes for the meme kiddies, chronic hypertension for the rest of us who want to actually discuss something
>>
>>7577480
Bitch you clearly haven't read Ulysses.
>>
>>7577491

We'll let you discuss something when that something is better than trash.
>>
Yeah he is great
>>
>>7577492
Tell me one insight into the human condition in Ulysses. Just one. Now I'm not saying there aren't any, but /lit/ can't talk about a books themes for shit but they sure as fuck will let you know they read it

>>7577495
Go back to your Pynchon memeing
>>
>>7577520

I will after you leave. Right now I'm focused on you and everything you say.

Get out, faggot.
>>
>>7577524
Lol blown the fuck out, looks like the only thing you got out of Ulysses was a check on your "patrician" bucket list
>>
>>7577485
Neil Gaiman is still shite.
>>>>/Reddit/
>>
>>7577550
I don't give a fuck about Gaiman.
>>
>>7577483
No it isn't.
Name calling, fucking amateur...
>>
>>7577538

I'm not that guy. I don't give a fuck what you think of Ulysses. I give a fuck what you think about Neil Gaiman.

Still waiting for you to get out, you fucking faggot.
>>
he has weak poetic language, reusing a lot of the same expressions and words when he could afford to be more creative. His books are plot based rather than expressing a unique experience in a lateral way.
>>
>>7577560
Lel, and what's funny is I'd bet fucking cash money I'm still better read than you
>>
>>7577559

http://www.britannica.com/art/literature

Fuck off.
>>
Lucifer is better
>>
File: tinyEyeRoll.gif (494 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tinyEyeRoll.gif
494 KB, 500x281
>>7577570

>trying this hard

Just stop. You're embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>7577615
Ugh I knew it was you. Post your poetry faggot. If you're going to publish it, people will read it and make fun of you. Get it over with now.
>>
I actually really enjoyed Neverwhere, haven't yet finished American Gods, I seem to have misplaced it.

Good Omens had some interesting insight on religion as well, ofc that wasn't a solo piece.

Would've thought the protag of Neverwhere would've spoken to people on here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>7577332
He's written some fun stuff but in depth exploration of the human condition? Lolno
>>
>>7577360
That's the only book I've read by him but it was pretty good. It's got a weird creepy feel to it
>>
>>7577424
You sound like that guy all in black and sunglasses that spends his day in starbucks pretending to write.

Please leave the board and go back to starbucks.
>>
>>7577615
Nigga you're the one sharting over what I think of Neil Gaiman. Of course I'm gonna assume a pleb whose too pleb to find value and appreciate middlebrow entertainment for what it is is a fucking pleb
>>
File: houseroll.gif (484 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
houseroll.gif
484 KB, 500x282
>>7577626

Hahahaha. You're poetry guy, too?!

Good God, you must be the most insufferable person imaginable in real life. God I feel sorry for your mother.

>If you're going to publish it, people will read it and make fun of you.

We've been over this already. Now, cunt, please leave.
>>
>>7577653

There are plenty of places to discuss middlebrow entertainment if you want, but you can't discuss middlebrow here.

Please go.
>>
>>7577470
>heard he fucks a qt 3.14
he doesn't. his wife is amanda palmer, the equivalent of the edgy teenage gothgirl type that is fanbase largely consists of, except she's 40 years old
>>
>>7577655
>You're poetry guy, too?!

no, im the other poetry guy. caps are for fags. im on your side in this one, tumblrfag.
>>
>>7577660
>he says as half the catalog is dfw and other gay memes

Who you fuckin foolin faggot lmfao
>>
>>7577664

>google amanda palmer

Oh God. Oh dear God. For shame, Neil Gaiman. For shame.

It's even worse than I thought.

Oh God. I declare Neil Gaiman hereby banned.
>>
>>7577666

I don't remember other poetry guy. Nice trips, even if it's 2spooky.

>>7577671

I'm doing my part to clear this cesspool of them, too.
>>
>>7577686
Then I guess we're on the same side
>>
>>7577652
I am, and I won't.
>>
>>7577587
Ugh. Really? Ok well thanks for helping me understand literature. I'll "fuck off" now.
>>
>>7577615
nice tumblr reaction gif. do you ship Tyrian X Jamie? ^_____^
>>
>>7577655
You're new, you're shit, kill yourself.
>>
>>7577708

ur welcome. bye.
>>
>>7577655
>shitty tumblr reaction gif

kill yourself
>>
>>7577332
Not a great writer.
But has taste. Great way to find good fantasy.
>>
>>7577710

No.

>>7577713

No.

>>7577767

No.
>>
>>7577773
I just finished "The Faerie Reel", it was really good. What are some full length modern faerie tales?
>>
>>7577470
>it's just that he's no good at prose
this. Stick to his comics.
>>
>>7577332
Better-than-average genre fiction.
>>
File: 1451493771487.jpg (109 KB, 1300x892) Image search: [Google]
1451493771487.jpg
109 KB, 1300x892
>>7577332
>>
>>7577816
where the fuck are you when /pol/ baits and gets 300 replies

trying to kill a bait thread where people are discussing books, fuck you
>>
>>7577827

books are not literature
>>
>>7577827
Atleast /pol/ threads try to discuss politics in literature. You don't have to agree with it but talking about the literary merit of Evola is fifty times better than Neil Gaiman, not that I personally like Evola though.
>>
>>7577332
He truly is a Gay man
>>
>>7577858
>Atleast /pol/ threads try to discuss politics in literature.

no they don't you fucking xposting piece of shit

>>7577838
/lit/ - books

get fucked
>>
>>7577867

No. You get fucked. Get the fuck out. Go back to the /co/ where Gaiman belongs.
>>
>>7577332
>literature
>>
>>7577332
Related question: Who's the Neil Gaiman of literature?
>>
He's a dimestore fantasist. The Sandman was great but he stopped being that good a long time ago. American Gods was meme tier, Anansi Boys was okay, Neverwhere was neat, Graveyard Book was Shit as was Stardust, Good Omens is pretty much all Prachett, his short stories are cloudy days illuminated with the occasional flash of lightning, but The Ocean at the End of the Lane is quite good.

His story about David Bowie was literally the most cringe-worthy, purple prose crap I've read in a while and I say that as a massive Bowie fan.
>>
>the literature
>
Reported, take your genre shit elsewhere.
>>
American Gods is painful.

>protag is Shadow Moon
>Low-Key turns out to be Loki
>introduces a one eyed bearded man named Wednesday who drinks mead then "reveals" that it's Odin with a big build up 300 pages later as if the reader is a moron
>the middle portion of the book (Deep South bit) is totally unnecessary and is boring

He shouldve just published the Ifrit chapter and cut the rest of the fucking novel
>>
fuck off
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.