[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time visiting /lit/. What do you guys think about Charles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1414566833902.jpg (409 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1414566833902.jpg
409 KB, 1920x1080
First time visiting /lit/. What do you guys think about Charles Bukowski? Reading some of his work currently and is pre gud
>>
>>7576909

Sucks.
>>
you'll get assripped for liking him

i think he's an okay entry level guy. don't sweat /lit/'s opinion on him.
>>
>>7576909
>>
>>7576914
I see. Who would you recommend me reading in the future? Really wanna read the best of the best
>>
He's fairly entertaining.
>>
>>7576932

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KK6DGMI/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1
>>
Bukowski has sparks of humor, especially in his dirty old man columns but a lot of garbage too. What happens is that, young men especially (but also some young women) end up romanticizing a lot of the garbage because it's about being drunk and living that dirty life. While they accept that there is an implicit sadness in Bukowski's life they run into its arms because they want to feel something of that "lived life." So, even where the writing is no good, what Bukowski has for sale is appealing to a certain group of people at a certain time of their life. That may be just me projecting because when I was 20 I really liked Bukowski too.

I still think that he has some funny stories and I even like some of his poetry.
>>
have to wade through 20 crappy poems for a good one. they're all about the same shit more or less so it's tiresome.

just buy a fifth and dog ear the gems one night. that's all ya gotta do with bukowski
>>
>>7576932

Hey, I was into Bukowski too in high school. Hot Water Music was a favorite. If you enjoy some of his stories that approach the surreal (can't remember the title but there's one about a skeleton dancing in a bar) you check out Kafka or Borges for more serious stories of that kind. If you enjoy the more playful side of that storytelling I definitely recommend Trout Fishing in America.
>>
>>7576909
>>7576962

Guys, this is real. This is what we have become.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.