[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has Mark Z Danielewski gone mad, or what?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: butterflypic.jpg (56 KB, 550x420) Image search: [Google]
butterflypic.jpg
56 KB, 550x420
The Familiar is probably going to be 27 volumes, about 800 pages each. This guy has either gone crazy, or become a hack. Really though, either way, it isn't good. A 20,000 page book? Even Proust would blush at that.
>>
Each book is about 300 pages of text.
>>
>>7576039
>or become a hack
No: he was always a hack.
>>
Become a hack? All his novels are just a bunch of magazine cut-outs and photos of doorstoppers with ~14 words per page about a quirky dude. If his first book didn't convince you he was a hack, I doubt his 28 other ones will.
>>
>>7576120
Also, he's always been crazy.
>>
>>7576039
It's not even about being crazy- I take an issue with having to pay twenty to thirty dollars per volume. If he maybe released it for free online, with optional donations, then I'd consider reading it. At least then I'd know that this is a passion project instead of possibly the most laboring and elaborate cash grab ever produced.

This is coming from a guy who loves House of Leaves. Danielewski is a very creative writer, but he must be severely disconnected from reality to think that his readers will follow it through to the end. But hey, maybe he'll prove me wrong and produce the next In Search of Lost Time. All I know is that I'll probably buy the first few books just to show my support, and then torrent the rest.
>>
>>7576201
The library.
>>
>>7576039
/lit/ gets so asspained when an author doesnt fit their standards. I bet no one on this thread hasread any of his books. or if they have they scoff at them for not being the pinnacle of pomo circlejerk station. you guys need to relax and take it easy, not every book is supposed to break ground and illuminate new insight on the human condition.

>just turn off ur brain bro!
>>
>>7576201
I will. I liked the first two and will probably keep buying the new ones if the quality is consitent. It's called having a job and disposable income.
>>
I liked House of Leaves and the Fifty Year Sword, but the others I've looked at don't hold my interest.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.