[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are /lit/'s thoughts on Moby Dick Everyman's Library
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7
File: unnamed.jpg (58 KB, 301x489) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
58 KB, 301x489
What are /lit/'s thoughts on Moby Dick Everyman's Library edition? Is it better compared to other editions? If no, please suggest a superior edition.
>>
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 300x493) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 300x493
>>7575190
< This
>>
What do you want out of your edition?
>>
>>7575190
It was written in english faggot, they're all the same as long as you pick an unabridged version
>>
>>7575594
You don't know what you are talking about. Several lesser editions, for instance, leave out the real beginning of the book. Melville didn't start the book with "Call me Ishmael.", he started it with a whole section dedicated to the etymology and selections about whales. These are actually really funny and can be said to be proto-post-modern even. The whole sub-sub librarian, it's hilarious, and it's really a shame some editions leave it out in order to start with Ishmael.
>>
>>7575190
I'll tell what version not to fucking get, unless you like having the design on your cover fucking disappear.

Penguin Clothbound Classics, that's what.

On the inside though, it's pretty good. On the front there's an Etymology. At the back there's textual emendations, end notes, glossary, and some illustrations.
>>
File: 9780143124672.jpg (243 KB, 1500x2188) Image search: [Google]
9780143124672.jpg
243 KB, 1500x2188
I always hated these Penguin letter editions, so apparently if they are the only books on your alphabetized set they have A-Z. Always thought it was super tacky. So yeah, avoid those.
>>7575609
Ok OP, if you're going to be super anal-retentive listen to this dude. There's about 2 pages with descriptions of whales in like the Bible and shit. This is what you're referring to, right? Every edition of this book I've got has this. If you truly get a garbage edition that doesn't include this it is 2 pages of reading online.
>>
File: $_1.jpg (15 KB, 290x400) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
15 KB, 290x400
I've got this illustrated Folio Society edition from the 1970's, shit's amazing.
>>
>>7575586
Seconding this, and I'm someone that usually goes Everyman's.
>>
>>7575586
got a dl link for this one?
>>
File: n6537_k466_m6_1930b_fc_stu_sc.jpg (157 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
n6537_k466_m6_1930b_fc_stu_sc.jpg
157 KB, 960x960
the urtext
>>
>>7575609
Wow, the version I read was some cheap paperback with the sort of illustrated cover that looks like it's for an old dime novel. But it had all that shit, fortunately.
>>
I just checked Amazon.com and the Everyman's Library edition includes the Extracts. So you're safe.
>>
>>7576375
Extracts? Does it contains what this Anon >>7575609 said?
>>
>>7576707
Yes, it's called Extracts.
>>
>>7576717
Thanks Anon!
>>
>>7575586
How's the print size? A lot of Nortons have type way too small for my liking.
>>
>>7577284
tiny, and the pages are transparent
>>
File: pls senpai.jpg (61 KB, 400x357) Image search: [Google]
pls senpai.jpg
61 KB, 400x357
>>7575818
Folio Society are top notch, but they are very expensive.

>mfw I can't afford them
>>
>>7577284
I recommend a magnifying glass if tiny print is an issue, but it's worth it if you're into it beyond just reading pleasure. The supplemental material in back is good stuff. It's the edition I've used both times I've read it, and the critical material was a good spring board when I was writing on it.
>>
>plebs don't know about the Arion Press edition

Get it OP, it'll be the best $10,000 you'll ever spend.
>>
>>7577370
This is really the best out there if you want quality. The Norton has supplemental stuff and a healthy amount of annotations (some are a bit needless, but they don't hurt it too much.) That being said, the Arion edition is by far the sexiest of all, and it includes illustrations and wood carvings and whatnot. They did reprint it so it's more affordable. I'm pretty sure you could find a copy for $75 or so.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.