[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Pale King
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: thepaleking.jpg (160 KB, 311x475) Image search: [Google]
thepaleking.jpg
160 KB, 311x475
I haven't read this book because I had always heard it was unfinished. I was reading about his suicide today, and it said that this book was left bundled and tidied and neatly placed on his desk next to his suicide note? Sounds pretty finished to me.
>>
File: 1452536286417.jpg (59 KB, 500x827) Image search: [Google]
1452536286417.jpg
59 KB, 500x827
>>7574922

unfinished or not its pretty good and I would recommend reading it
>>
>>7574956

Did that dude in your photo kill himself?
>>
File: p77f1.jpg (63 KB, 600x868) Image search: [Google]
p77f1.jpg
63 KB, 600x868
>>7574922
It's very much unfinished. There are notes in the back for what else would have been included. There was going to be a picnic where everyone gets dosed w/lsd & a terrorist attack by a native american woman. It probably would have been pretty good.
>>
>>7574968
I would
>>
>>7574981
why? how could you love someone who you aren't in a relationship with? that's ridiculous
>>
>>7574979

It did say the manuscript he left was over 1000 pages and his wife and editor wittled it down to a little over 500.
>>
File: IMG_2096.jpg (368 KB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2096.jpg
368 KB, 3000x2000
>>7574979
>There was going to be a picnic where everyone gets dosed w/lsd

that happened in the book though
>>
File: image.jpg (128 KB, 1173x925) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128 KB, 1173x925
>>7575046
It's alluded to. I believe in the notes there was a plan to have a section of it in detail.
>>
File: hu.jpg (13 KB, 310x475) Image search: [Google]
hu.jpg
13 KB, 310x475
>>
>>7574991
THIS
If the person doesnt love you back its an infatuation
>>
>>7574991
>I don't love my family or friends
>>
>>7574991
Well I already don't really value my life lol It would be the embarrassment more than anything
>>
To clear up some misconceptions...

>In the garage, bathed in light from his many lamps, sat a pile of nearly two hundred pages.
(D.T. Max's "The Unfinished" - The New Yorker)

It was 200 pages that he "tidied up" and left out, presumably to be found.

>Below it, around it, inside his two computers, on old floppy disks in his drawers were hundreds of other pages—drafts, character sketches, notes to himself, fragments that had evaded his attempt to integrate them into the novel.

The rest of the novel came from this unapproved miscellaneous material.
>>
>>7574922
Holy fuck
I was literally just thinking exactly this thought, and I have never read/cared to read anything by DFW. Before I got on /lit/ I was just thinking about how it was proclaimed unfinished but neatly bundled as a manuscript and how I wanted to read it but didn't feel like starting a huge, unfinished novel. That was weird.
>>
Pietsch's account from The Pale King's introduction:

>In November, Bonnie Nadell [Wallace's agent] joined Karen Green, David's widow, to go through his office .... On David's desk Bonnie found a neat stack of manuscript, twelve chapters totaling nearly 250 pages.

So what he left out to be found was only twelve chapters. There are fifty in the book.

>Exploring David's office, Bonnie and Karen found hundreds and hundreds of pages of his novel in progress .... Hard drives, file folders, three-ring binders, spiral-bound notebooks, and floppy disks .... I flew to California...and returned home with a green duffel bag and two Trader Joe's sacks heavy with manuscripts.

So, again, they went through his stuff and found a lot more than what he left out for them to find.

>Karen Green and Bonnie Nadell asked me to assemble from these pages the best version of The Pale King i could find.
>>
Even unfinished works can be of superb quality. I haven't read Pale King, though one day I might, but Gogol's Dead Souls, also unfinished, ranks among my greatest literary experiences.

I'd say give it a go if you like Wallace.
>>
>tfw everyone on 4chan calls me autistic or depressed whenever I ask or talk about personal things

No wonder I like DFW
>>
>>7574922

Being unfinished actually suits this book well. It deals in part with things looming on the horizon but not arriving, waiting for something to happen and that thing not happening. And besides that, what Wallace did write is quite good. The book is far better than Girl with Curious Hair, for example.
>>
>>7574922

It leaves me to think how much of the actual novel we got, I think there was only 500 or so pages published but imagine if it was planned to be bigger than Infinite Jest.

>>7574956

This.
Just imagine the entire thing as a Mike Judge sitcom in your head and it works.
>>
>>7576087
>>7576103

OP here. That does help clear some things up. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>7574991
Wait, what?
>>
>>7574922
All kafka's novels are unfinished, wtf is the problem?
Only faggots finish their books
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.