[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, I'm looking to expand my literary background,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: bible-Sunlight.jpg (95 KB, 1600x965) Image search: [Google]
bible-Sunlight.jpg
95 KB, 1600x965
Hey /lit/,

I'm looking to expand my literary background, and I've decided that the Bible is a pretty important text to read. The problem is that I'm not quite sure which version to get.

I don't really mind whether or not it's annotated, but I think that I'd be better off with one that is. I'm not looking for one that has either a Judeo/Christian viewpoint or an atheistic viewpoint, just one with that tries to point out literary/historical/archeological/cultural significance. Also, I know that a lot of euphoric persons tend to point out that modern Bible translations are heavily edited, and I was wondering if this is true, and whether or not I should take this into account when deciding which version I should get. I prefer to get one that's as true to the original text as possible, but if for some reason this isn't a good idea, I'd like to know.

Thanks,

Anon
>>
>>7574889
Shameless self-bump
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 529x283) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 529x283
Greek interlinear?
>>
>>7574916
Thanks, I didn't initially consider getting an interlinear. That might be a good idea, but I'm looking for a copy with the Old Testament as well, not just the New Testament. Idk if there are any interlinears containing both the Old Testament (Hebrew/Aramaic) and the New Testament (Greek).

I guess I should clarify further, however. I'm looking for one with more notes and references, considering that my historical background it a bit lacking.
>>
>>7574960
I hear good things about the Oxford Annotated bible. It's the new revised standard version and comes with apocrypha. Haven't read it myself but know people who have and it's apparently great for historical context.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.