[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What passages, or entire books have been therapeutic for you?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: library.jpg (67 KB, 624x351) Image search: [Google]
library.jpg
67 KB, 624x351
What passages, or entire books have been therapeutic for you? Basically, in this thread, I would like you anons to share a passage or two that has been therapeutic for you. Not looking for motivational quotes or anything like that, just some honest, personal reflection.

Today I was reading Anna Karenina and read the part where Levin confesses his sins, so to speak, to Kitty by giving her his notebooks. The confession was that Levin had been with other women, and was a nonbeliever. Kitty was upset most by Levin's impurity, but forgives him while still denouncing his past as terrible.

I realize this isn't the deepest or most thought provoking except available in the book, but it struck a chord with me anyway. So much stuff in this book has spoken directly to my soul, to speak romantically, and has literally been more therapeutic than my antidepressants.

I find uplifting quotes or motivational stuff so puerile and vapid and useless... I figured this could be a better alternative. So, if you can be bothered, share your own.
>>
Meditations chilled me out a lot. I'm an uncommitted fuckwad so I'll probably never live the stoic life, but it was fun to pretend :)
>>
>>7574761
Leaves of Grass.
It inspires me to simply do something, live life, see everything as something grand and wonderfully eternal. God that man is spectacular.
>>
>>7574761
I refuse to "look up." Optimism nauseates me. It is perverse. Since man's fall, his proper position in the universe has been one of misery
>>
Using art as therapy is perverted.
>>
>>7574807
I think I agree with you there...My intention when reading isn't to seek therapy, but as a side effect, it generally improves my wellbeing.
>>
>>7574807

Catharsis can be therapeutic.

Get off the soap box, m8.
>>
>>7574894
When is catharsis not therapeutic?
>>
>>7574788
Hope cannot be totally extinguished except through death.
>>
>>7574866
I find reading higher quality literature provides a sense of "well-being" however it is a delayed but greater response than the immediate gratification of reading trash.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.