[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Candide Voltaire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: Candide - Voltaire.jpg (20 KB, 267x400) Image search: [Google]
Candide - Voltaire.jpg
20 KB, 267x400
Am I missing something? Is it 2deep4me?

I don't seem to understand the point and it's really not that good
>>
>>7573739
It's liberal trash. Congrats you proved your redpilled
>>
File: 1450852233177.jpg (2 MB, 3968x1632) Image search: [Google]
1450852233177.jpg
2 MB, 3968x1632
>>7573749
I want monarchists to leave
>>
>>7573739
It's just trash for liberals to jerk over. It's like a shitty Chesterton really.
>>
>>7573739
He was criticizing shit that was happening at his time iirc, it's not very relevant to today's society.

>>7573773
I don't see what the book has to do with liberal
>>
>>7573790
The whole ideology of the book is liberal. Like one of the most core liberal works.
>>
>>7573795
man I haven't read this book since like the 7th grade you're probably right
>>
>>7573802
French?
>>
>>7573770
Republican scum

Vive l'empereur
>>
>>7573805
No I'm from Texas, my mom just read a ton of classics or at least owned a ton of them and in my middle school years I tended to grab the thinnest ones she had
>>
>>7573790
> He was criticizing shit that was happening at his time iirc, it's not very relevant to today's society.

yeah but i fail to understand the deeper meanings. I just read it and think 'okay well that happened' and move on to the next page. It doesn't read well and the pacing is awful due to it being cut into too many chapters.

FYI: Reading the French version
>>
>>7573828
Un thème central du bouquin est : peut-on, et comment peut-on être heureux ?
>>
>>7573807
Try saying that when your head's in the basket you cake-eating faggot
>>
>>7573839
j'ai lu 70 des 130 pages mais je n'ai pas encore trouvé ce que tu viens d'écrire
>>
>>7573847
Wasn't cutting people's heads off into baskets a very republican thing?
>>
Criticizing things he clearly didn't understand.
>>
>>7573866
Et Thunder-ten-tronckh ?
Et Pangloss, qui représente une parodie grossière de la philosophie leibnizienne ?
Et l'Eldorado ?
La conclusion du bouquin est là : Il faut cultiver son jardin

Au pire regarde sur internet, il devrait il y avoir plein de trucs.
>>
>>7573828
He's criticising Leibniz
>>
>>7573895
Moi je l'ai lu en entier et je l'ai pas trouvé si interessant
En gros Voltaire fait la satire de philosophies populaire de l'epoque, ainsi que d'autres choses qui ont peu ou pas d'importance de nos jours.
Peut etre a l'epoque ça aurait fait rire quelques bourgeois republicains, mais aujourd'hui ça marche pas trop
>>
It's a bunch of random things that Voltaire thought of.
There's something about freedom or something in that episode with the army.
He makes fun of Leibniz.
There's this whole thing about work and taking care of your garden.

I'm not saying it's particularly good (it's occasionally funny, imo), but it has all those messages.
>>
>>7573749
Book published in 1759 is liberal trash. See kids? There still are, as if further proofs were necessary, plenty medieval farmers around.
>>
>>7573895
Ah yes, the permanently-feeling-like-they're-being-mocked-and-ridiculed-and-insulted-while-simultaneously-grieving-and-snickering french.
>>
>>7573739
Probably just a taste thing. It's truly not that complicated. It sounds weird, but back then lit that was complicated (outside the Bible) was considered bad. Like you could have said this more simply but you're too stupid.

I read this when I was a dumb freshman and found it insightful but beyond that hilarious. I doubt you just didn't "get it." Either you're holding a crap translation, you read it too fast, or maybe it's not your sense of humor. Don't sweat it. Move on. Try Mark Twain. I never once found him funny. Let me know if you do.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.