[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
the face of contemporary french literature
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: hollaback.jpg (436 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
hollaback.jpg
436 KB, 2048x1536
the face of contemporary french literature
>>
Michel Tournier is still alive. Just about.
>>
>>7573595
he looks like an albino orc.
>>
is there any book I should start with or can I jump right into Submission?
>>
Am I a pleb if particles is my favorite book of all time?
>>
>>7573598
Le Clezio and de Kerangal too.
I wouldn't be surprised if de Kerangal had the Nobel in a few years. What do you think?
>>
Soumission is so bad lmfao
At this point he is explicitly a caricature imho tbqh fa~ms
>>
>>7573635
I've not read any of her work. If I was a betting man I'd favour Cixous to win a Nobel before she does, just judging by their respective profiles. Michon, Tournier, Quignard and Jaccottet are my favourite living French writers. I don't really get the fuss over Bonnefoy but I guess he could be regarded as the "face of contemporary French poetry" too.
>>
I don't know if it has been translated to English yet but 2084 is a better book than Submission
>>
File: samuel-beckett.jpg (34 KB, 243x330) Image search: [Google]
samuel-beckett.jpg
34 KB, 243x330
>>7573718
I don't know about Cixous, but I feel like de Kerangal has the right profile for the prize. She's far from being one of my favorite writers but her books are worth the read. I finished Birth of a bridge a few days ago, you should maybe give it a try...

>Michon
It's my favorite living French writer. It's a shame he is never talked about here.

>Tournier
I like him, but Friday, or The other land deceived me.

>Quignard and Jaccottet
Never read them. Where should I start?

>Bonnefoy
I like his poetry but I couldn't say why. Here's a poem by him:
Une pierre

Ils aimaient ce miroir
Dont le cadre écaillé s'ornait encore
Des cornes d'abondances de l'âge d'or.
Deux figures dansantes s'y faisaient face,
Ces épaules, ces ventres étaient nus,
Ces mains
Se touchaient, s'étreignaient,
Mais ces vrais que les yeux ne se rencontraient pas.

Ils ont placé
Le miroir dans la terre, sous la neige,
Comme du grain ; comme l'épi du ciel
Qui doit pourrir longtemps dans la boue du monde.

I've also read Dans les forêts de Sibérie quite recently by Tesson and it's very good, it has a nice, soft and comfy feeling... Also Nothomb is alive, but I can't stand her.

Pic not really related, I just like Beckett a lot.
>>
>>7573727
This is true.
>>
http://pastebin.com/McPPEaTb

What the fuck am I reading?
>>
Subission is his worst book, read anything else.
>>
>>7573595
Nice filename
>>
>>7573620
You can jump right into anything he's writen.
>>
>>7573624
Good book, but yes.
>>
File: hon hon.png (457 KB, 536x546) Image search: [Google]
hon hon.png
457 KB, 536x546
based
>>
>>7573595

someone should take one of his worst looking pictures and then make one of those THIS UGLY DUDE HAS THREE HOT YOUNG WIVES HOW DOES HE DO IT - CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT pics
>>
>>7573614
underrated post
>>
>>7574171

Please tell me. Why is Houellebecq considered pleb?
>>
>>7573637
shitty opinion in a shitty post
you forgot the anime image though
>>
>>7574171

What do you like about the book?
>>
>>7574073
Why? Do you think it's bad, or that the rest is much better?
>>
nothomb is belgian you cucks. Tournier is god, modiano gets no respect because of nobel but he is fuggin brilliant. I want you to pay attention to writers born after 1989 sasha sperling, cevile coulon, mathilde tournier etc. Also daniel pennac is the smartest and the funniest
>>
>>7574228
I have read all of his books, even some of his poetry...
It's all shit, but the new one considerably more so
>>
>>7574638
I've read Modiano's first two books and I wasn't all that impressed. Is his later work considerably different?
>>
>>7574225
He's not.
>>
>>7574638
>nothomb is belgian you cucks
Who cares? Does she writes in Flemish?

>>7574211
Seconding this
>>
>>7573595
>contemporary french literature
Is there anything worse than this?
>>
>>7576681
Contemporary American literature.
>>
>>7576674
By your logic Liberian books fall under British literature.
>>
>i've only heard of one living french author
>he's the face of contemporary french lit

narcissism: the post
>>
>>7576699
>don delillo
>David foster Wallace
>Cormac McCarthy
>Thomas Pynchon
>Jonathan Franzen
U wot?
>>
File: world-political-map-2000px.jpg (645 KB, 2000x1479) Image search: [Google]
world-political-map-2000px.jpg
645 KB, 2000x1479
>>7576702
"french literature" might mean "francophone literature". Thus Liberian books fall under English literature but nor British Literature.
Your argument is also ludicrous for obvious geographical and historical considerations.
>>
>>7576760
Denmark owns greenland?
>>
>>7576767
More or less
>>
>>7576760
holy FUCK greenland is huge
>dat mercator projection
>>
>>7576760
>"french literature" might mean "francophone literature"
It doesn't though.

French literature is, generally speaking, literature written in the French language, particularly by citizens of France; it may also refer to literature written by people living in France who speak traditional languages of France other than French. Literature written in French language, by citizens of other nations such as Belgium, Switzerland, Canada, Senegal, Algeria, Morocco, etc. is referred to as Francophone literature.
>>
>>7576899
So Cioran and Ionesco are considered as Romanian literature? And Beckett only as Irish literature?
>>
>>7576731
Do you seriously believe they are better or more globally significant than any of the French authors named ITT?
>>
>>7576945
uh, yeah
>>
> french contemporary novelists
> good or of value

no.

face it, they are small time compared to american novelists like pynchon or delillo
>>
>>7576984
>lives in America
>speaks only English
>consumes only mainstrean media
>thinks American writers are the best

Makes sense
>>
>>7576945
Cioran lived most of his life in France and wrote most of his work in French. I'd call that French literature.

But to say that everything written in French is French literature is selling other nations short.
>>
>>7573804
>Jaccottet
Go for Cahier de verdure ; suivi de, Après beaucoup d'années, there are bits of his prose, his poetry, his diaries and his essays; all beautifully connected; then you can decide if you like him and where would you like go from there.

>Quignard
Depends, if you want more coherent narrative then Tous le matins de monde, Terrasse à Rome etc (by coherent I mean concentrated on one person or so); if you want more fragmentary stuff (maybe like later Blanchot, even though it's different a lot), then go for Dernier royaume. I heard that his other things (on wiki under Autre) is pretty great too, things like Le Sexe et l'Effroi, but I haven't read it myself.

Other great writers Guyotat, Toussaint, Noël, Demangeot, etc.

Houellebecq is shit imo.
>>
>>7577134
Merci
>>
>>7573595
I wish it was the hairpiece of contemporary French literature.
>>
>>7576975
Pynchon and Delillo most certainly
>>
>>7577458

I agree with this, Pynchon and Delillo definitely maintain more of a global presence then any french authors
>>
>>7574225
I'm not saying he should be considered plebeian, just that considering The Elementary Particles one of "the best books ever written" is pleb.

>>7574292 It seemed fresh back in 1999, or whenever it came out. The cynic, uninterested and nonchalant love affair concerning the protagonist combined with the civilisational implications of his work struck me as a curious and relevant intersection of sub-plots at the time. The "erogenous cells all over everyone's bodies" concept also felt fun at the time.
>>
>>7577446
That isn't a hairpiece. It is just badly styled extremely thin hair.
>>
>>7577458
>>7577712
>>7576731
*DeLillo
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.