[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How could I finish a book I hate?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: 123.jpg (50 KB, 331x221) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
50 KB, 331x221
How could I finish a book I hate?
>>
>>7571948
If you don't like the book, stop reading it.
>>
>>7571948

The ending could bring everything together in ways you wouldn't imagine.
>>
why would u do that
>>
>>7571948
Just use your eyes nigga
>>
>>7571948
Which book is it?
Don't worry, I won't call you a pleb.
>>
>>7571950
>>7571966
reddit-tier/goodreads reviewer tier advice here.

>hurr durr if something doesnt grip me and keeps me turning pages from the start i'll just drop it.
>>
>>7572348
This. It's the literary equivalent of seeing an adult refuse to eat something because "vegetables make me gag".
>>
>>7572348
>reading books you don't like because you think it makes you enlightened to be a masochist

pseudo alert
>>
>>7572583
Pleb alert go back to reddit where they embrace that kind of shit mentality ty
>>
>>7572578
>the literary equivalent of seeing an adult refuse to eat something

Only poor people care about what other people eator don't eat.
>>
>>7571948

you better not be the anon who posted the thread about 2666 OP
>>
>>7572588
so why do you read books you don't like again?
>>
>>7572593
>Doing anything you like, ever
Fucking redditors
>>
>>7572593
Because you can't evaluate a book without having read it in totality. Because the ending/later parts of the book can change everything because I've learned how to identify and appreciate rewarding aspects in most books that I bother to pick up to begin with. Because it's important to expose yourself to alternate perspectives and experiences.
>>
>>7572604
>Because you can't evaluate a book without having read it in totality

really? what books, if any, do you know of with dramatic fluctuations in quality?

> Because it's important to expose yourself to alternate perspectives and experiences.

do you only like things you agree with? why are you assuming alternate perspectives and experiences can't be enjoyed and have to be forced on oneself?
>>
>>7571948
I don't. I give up when I hate a book. Admittedly, this happened to me only twice, with YA and fantasy books, never with literary fiction. (Not saying all literary fiction is necessarily good, but it's always readable.)
>>
>>7572045
Lol
>>
>>7571948
Had to read Emma by Jane Austen when I was in school. Very good piece of lit loads of wit satire and irony. But fuck me was I bored, just imagine the characters as really hot or just keep pushing through the pages
>>
>>7572348
It's a great way to make sure you never read much real lit. I love an easy story for the fun of it, but it takes work to get comfortable with heavier stuff.

Failure to realize this is why there are almost no people I've seen on reddit who managed to read Moby Dick.
>>
simply don't hate the book.
how hard can it be?
>>
just read it haha i donno lol :^)
>>
>>7571948

You make it into a project, with a deadline and certain pages per day goal. Otherwise you'll never finish it.

I can understand the reasoning for dropping books you don't like, but personally I kinda see finishing shit as a sort of character building exercise. If I don't like something, I start to form criticism as to why the book is bad, etc. And on occasion you might get something where it takes 100 pages before the book finally clicks and you can enjoy it.
>>
>>7572348
>reddit-tier/goodreads reviewer tier advice here.
more like Borges tier
>>
>>7572604
>Get served a bland, overcooked, poorly seasoned meal
>I can't evaluate the meal until I've ate the whole thing
>>
>>7571948
Why?
>>
>>7575658

this

"I need to read the whole thing" was a like your english professor told you because the alternative is she gets fired and has to teach gym instead
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.