[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is a terrible book. I'm about 250 pages in. There's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: 2666.jpg (57 KB, 300x463) Image search: [Google]
2666.jpg
57 KB, 300x463
This is a terrible book. I'm about 250 pages in. There's so much jumping, no real plot yet, no "main character(s)" for that matter. Every section seems to have a new major character who fucks around and doesn't accomplish anything. Has anyone else read this book? Does it get better? Help, because I'm considering using my copy for kindling.
>>
It's pomo. Some people just can't stand pomo.
>>
Should have read The Savage Detectives instead desu senpai
>>
take it as a collection of novellas, each of which is highly plot-based, instead of a novel.

or make worthless threads bitching about a book you haven't finished
>>
Seems like you should go back to Reddit, OP.
>>
File: poker face.png (30 KB, 272x400) Image search: [Google]
poker face.png
30 KB, 272x400
Remember this?
>>
>>7571448
What's it like being a massive pleb, faggot?
>>
>>7571635
calm those edges
>>
File: 1442078440012.jpg (53 KB, 420x614) Image search: [Google]
1442078440012.jpg
53 KB, 420x614
>>7571448
>There's so much jumping, no real plot yet, no "main character(s)" for that matter.

Nothing wrong with that. Any discomfort or frustration that has caused you is reflective of you and not the book. Would you criticize a surrealist novel for the same thing?

>Every section seems to have a new major character who fucks around and doesn't accomplish anything.

Why do characters have to "do something". Are you reading for the plot or something? Its just an experience to take in and enjoy.

If you hate the book then don't finish it but you are only about 1/4 of the way through so you may want to give it more time.
>>
>>7571448
Are you reading for plot?

Hey everyone! Get a load of this guy
>>
>>7571680
edges?
The guy is harsh, but what he says is true I mean
>reading for plot
very pleb
>>
Redditors are good to laugh at at least
>>
>>7572367
Essentially this.

Its extraordinary what people let get in the way of them reading something. Its a group of words. Read them or don't. Forget whatever conventions you're restricting everything to.
>>
I sympathize, OP.

That's sort of how I feel about Infinite Jest. Although obv the Incandenzas are the main characters, each section introduces more characters and I've read 300 pages of that book, but have had to take a break because of university so now I have no clue who is who. Can't remember Schtitt is, who Troeltsch is, who Pemulis is, WHO THE FUCK ARE THESE KIDS
>>
>>7572502
Coming this summer... BACK TO REDDIT. Starring THIS FUCKING RETARD.
>>
>>7572510

Man, you remember that episode with House with the kid who was really smart at chess, but was an aggressive asshole, partly because he didn't get laid?

that was you, lad.
>>
>>7572518
>but u dont benis in bagina :DDD
Back to reddit boyo
>>
I love this book so much, and exactly for the reasons OP posted. Much like Bill H Gass, I love how Bolaño [lays with what a novel can be. It's not finished but it feels like it is.
>>
>>7572367
OP here, I'll try to take this in.

As for the criticism from others regarding my need for a plot it all boils down to purpose of reading. Some people may read for the experience, to hear and feel the environment the author describes, novels to submerse themselves in. When I approach a novel often times I am looking for a lesson or proverb that the author might instill. I am also hoping for an outcome that represents this. So with that in mind you can imagine the contempt I may have held for this novel, since I am continuously reaching for plot holds and lessons and coming up empty handed. I will continue taking this anons advice and attempting to read for a new type of experience.
>>
>>7572964
maybe you should try to open your eyes to more nuanced plot changes, or how the plot reveals something about the characters: this is especially evident in the part about the critics
>>
>>7571448
LIT help this book was amazing what other books can I read that are as large in scope and satisfying to read as this?
>>
>>7573049
>Under the Volacano
>Literatura Nazi / The Savage Detectives (also by Bolaño)
>Dante's Inferno
>Night Trilogy
>Mcarthy's Border Trilogy
>Infinite Jest
>The Recognitions
>The Tunnel by W H Gass
>>
>>7573084
>Dante's Inferno
>not the entire Commedia

P L E B
>>
>>7572964
Dude, lessons and proverbs are not contingent on plot.
>>
>>7573084
Basic taste
>>
>>7572964

way to be humble my nigga
>>
>>7573111
No they are not, but if that is what you are hoping to obtain it can grow tiresome when a novel is without it.
>>
>>7573088
thats what I meant. It's usually referred to as Dante's inferno.

>>7573115
ok
>>
>>7573297
Uh...no it's not. Inferno is one of three parts of the whole thing

Be honest - you haven't even read it have you?
>>
>>7573302
Every single person that I've talked to about it, refers to it as Dante's Inferno and only a child would think otherwise. please stop, you're making a fool out of yourself and not contributing at all.
>>
>>7573314
This is embarrassing. Stop trying to damage control you obviously have no idea who Dante even is.
>>
>>7573314
This is truly embarrassing. You should leave, it's for your own good. There are other places for those like you.
>>
It's a meme and we both fell for it, OP.
>>
>>7573297

No it's not. It's known as The Devine Comedy.
>>
>>7573302
Other than The Divine Comedy, Dante's Inferno is pretty widely and unofficially used to refer to the entire work, not just the first cantica.
>>
>>7573461
What kind of philistines are on my board? You guys need to seriously kill yourselves if you believe this.
>>
>>7573476
he's right. stop being a wikipedia nerd and go to college.
>>
>>7573482
You'd be laughed out of the room if you tried to argue Dante's Inferno refers to the whole work in college.

Maybe community college I guess? Wouldn't know I'm not a retard.
>>
>>7571449
Is it really PoMo? If it is then I don't get the meme...

I understand why Pynchon, Delillo and Duhfu are, but in this or for example The Recognitions I don't see it.

Anyone care to explain?
>>
>>7573314
Hahhaha you are an imbecile
>>
>>7573496
I'd also appreciate an explanation. I'm still at a loss of words when it comes to giving a definition for postmodernism
>>
>>7573488
Unofficially, as in colloquially, as in stop being so autistic.
>>
>>7573541
>colloquially
>aka incorrectly

stop being so wrong. just admit you made a mistake on this one anon, it's the internet no one knows who you are :) it will spare you further shame and humiliation

i mean, seriously, of all the hills you could choose to die on..."inferno refers to the entire commedia" really??
>>
>>7573518
One of the main points of postmodernism is a lack of objectivity and a representation of a whole lot of different viewpoints in a story. This means that the narrative is often fragmented rather than linear and that the story often doesn't have a main character.
>>
>>7573545
you're a moron.
>>
>>7573461
Great b8 m8 I r8 it 8/8
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.