[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LOL But seriously, is Art of War worth reading if you're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: oglaf.jpg (221 KB, 760x596) Image search: [Google]
oglaf.jpg
221 KB, 760x596
LOL

But seriously, is Art of War worth reading if you're not an ancient Chinese general? Does it really contain timeless wisdom that is abstract enough to be applied to any age, as popular culture seems to portray it? And if it does, is it concrete and frequent enough that it makes the entire book worthwhile and not just a collection of vague witticisms?
>>
The Art of War is a timeless masterpiece on warfare. Similar to it's western equivalent "On War" by Carl von Clausewitz. Both examine how and why various strategies remain universally applicable regardless of era. The removal of an enemy's social/political support is a instrumental achievement for pursuing victory. These books are deeply rooted in examining human psychology.
>>
In modern times it best not to take the book at face value, but rather as a series of life lessons to do with the different war time stratagies, or at least thats how I took it.
>>
reading the 36 stratagems might be more immediately help tho op if you're a-wagin war

are you waging war op

cuz war is god and i am dancing dancing i will never die
>>
>>7571247
If you read it and know anything about the military then you'll be thinking, "Well no fucking shit". Everything in that book is now called common sense.
>>
Why is it popular to apply its teachings to business stuff? I don't see it but I haven't read all of it.
>>
>>7571271
On War really is a continuation of the Art of war, Von Clausewitz made his own separate annotated translation
>>
>>7571517
because business is war.
>>
>>7571247
>Does it really contain timeless wisdom that is abstract enough to be applied to any age, as popular culture seems to portray it?
Yes

However, that also means that it also often comes across as
>a collection of vague witticisms
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.