[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has there been many writers who have changed their styles many
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2
File: 2342.jpg (238 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
2342.jpg
238 KB, 1600x1200
Has there been many writers who have changed their styles many times and managed to do it well?
>>
Rest in peace.
>>
Who the fuck is David Bowie?
>>
>>7571251
How do you know it's David Bowie?
>>
>>7571184
T A O L I N
A
O
L
I
N
>>
>>7571184
I hope you're not implying Bowie did it well
>>
>>7571267
rhetorical
>>
>>7571184
>have
>>
>>7571267
its the thin white Duke
>>
What's he doing these days
>>
>>7571310
just lying around
>>
Bob Dylan is/was a better/more versatile songwriter

He stared in Traditional Folk and Protest Songs that spoke for The People then he moved into Modernist Poetry, Traditional Ballad and Surrealist Farce before juggling Country and Full Experimental and then who knows what the fuck he's been doing since the seventies probably a lot of other cool shit I don't have the time to listen to
>>
>>7571184
Calvino.
Joyce and Beckett were more evolution than changes, but them also.
>>
>>7571184
Literature is a much more personal art than music. You can't change your style unless you entirely change your worldview and live through different experiences.
>>
>>7571348
Completely and utterly wrong.
>>
>>7571454
>Literature is a much more personal art than music.
This kills Nietzsche
>>
>>7571454
Bowie was all about collaboration too.

I guess Toni Morrison went from mainstream litfic to quasi-faulkner. But again that's more evolution. Ian McEwan has multiple reinventions (comedy, spy thriller, romance, historical fiction) but not necessarily convincing ones. Haven't read M Amis, but he's of the same type.
>>
>>7571454
Bullshit. Read Dylan's biography. He changed whenever he liked and was criticized for it. He never changed his worldview.

Stop simplifying things you don't understand.
>>
>>7571454
>my medium > other medium
Please stop.
>>
RIP sleep tight duke
>>
>>7571280
I hope you aren't implying that he didn't
>>
>>7571348
You do know Dylan wrote very few of his own songs yeah?
>>
>>7571673
stop being a giant pleb

the most song lyrics can amount to is pastiche of style. nothing inventive or worthwhile to be found. loved by plebs and retards and /lit/izens
>>
My favourite musician... I'm still in shock.

I'm working through his list of favourite books.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/oct/01/david-bowie-books-kerouac-milligan
>>
>>7571710
For basically every other musician except Dylan, maybe. But go read the lyrics for Desolation Row or It's Alright Ma and tell me that's not fucking genius. I maintain that if Dylan had been a poet he would still be famous around the world.
>>
>>7571710
You are a master-baiter i'll give you that. But you clearly are deaf and heartless if you don't hear any poetry in well written lyrics.
>>
>>7571749
>For basically every other musician except Dylan, maybe.
lmao. why is it every dylan pleb thinks dylan somehow transcends his plebbery

pop pleb trash
>>
>>7571627
nah

>>7571705
nah
>>
>>7571722
>I'm working through his list of favourite books.
How far have you gotten since he died?
>>
>>7571749
you're kidding me right
>>
>>7572116
I finished; read through the whole list.
>>
Shakespeare
>>
>>7571348
Solid look. He just looked effortlessly cool back then.
>>
Auden had quite a few styles
>>
>>7572116
>gotten

Ugh. Disgusting.

I haven't read anything today. I tried but I couldn't focus. It was too depressing for me today. Currently about a third of the way through though.
>>
William Vollmann toyed around with voice and genre pretty effectively. If you don't mind several-hundred-page doorstoppers.
>>
Ultimately, the essence of a writer can be found in everything they do.
>>
>>7571348
>then he moved into Modernist Poetry

no, he never wrote poetry and his lyrics are just that, song lyrics with little or no literary value.
>>
>>7573928

I don't think his later styles were really that great, though. It was radical and probably brought on by his move to America and his conversion, but I think these two things diminished the quality of his poetry, as it did with Eliot. Auden and Eliot are two weird poets, that's for sure, neither American nor British in their style. Men without countries.
>>
What a horrible thread this is.
>>
>>7571310
>>7571340

underrated
>>
>>7571710
>muh elite medium

you're just a philistine.
>>
>>7575160
Hey dude how did you know that i live in the west bank?
>>
>>7574972
I read a bunch of the Rainbow Stories this year. Definitely all over the place stylistically, from journalistic to farcical.

Compare "Scintillant Orange" and "White Knights."

I'll probably never attempt his novels, not interested enough.
>>
Piggy Porkdust
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.