[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys. I just finshed reading Dubliners by James Joyce. Obviously
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 349x421) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 349x421
Hey guys. I just finshed reading Dubliners by James Joyce. Obviously I just finished reading the final story The Dead. Well I'm after a few points of discussion. Did you guys catch the vast symbolism the first time around? What did you find to be the most symbolic. Did you enjoy it?
>>
no, I found all of the stories to be very dry "americana" (don't know what the irish/general equivalent of this is) type things at first. unless you really get into the nitty gritty literary stuff like pov/word choice/memory it's not really something that grabs you and shakes you.
>>
>>7571137
pleb detected
>>
>>7571138

when i first read dubliners, yeah absolutely.
>>
>>7571137
Will agree and disagree with you, Irish nationalism and Irish identity and influence of the English is a huge part of the book, i thnk some of itnis suppose to be dry, kind of says something about what it is to be Irish at the time

I will most certainly agree you have to delve to far into nitty gritty literary analysis
>>
I'm gonna get into Dubliners in the next few days. What kind of symbolism is he talking about?
>>
>>7571187

it's short, just read it by yourself the first time. you can google and read the academic interpretation etc. afterwards.
>>
>>7571187
Basically, just google Irish politics and read up the relationships at play circa 1914, when the story was published. A number of the characters function as metaphor/embody different groups/ideologies.

In my opinion, it's always a good idea to learn a bit about a work's genesis-and by this I mean basic period and broad strokes about the author- before reading. There's a reason so many modern scholars read The Wife of Bath as a feminist piece.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.