[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nietzsche Reading Order
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 329x447) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 329x447
Which is the best order to read Nietszche in? Should I even bother at all?

I can choose between The Anti Christ, Ecce Homo, Twilight Of The Idols, Nietszche contra Wagner, Hammer of the Gods, Human, all too human and Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
>>
the anti-christ goes ham
>>
>>7570745
start with the greeks
>>
more importantly what would one read prior to one reading nietzsche to fully appreciate the work one nietzsche performed prior to ones existence

mustache pls answr
>>
>>7570794
>>7570802

yes but one does not simply go from plato to nietzsche. i keep hearing about this one hume, or was it one kant, and he seems important to fully appreciating the work one nietzsche performed prior to this ones existence. and yet one does not go from plato to hume, or kant. so if one of you ones could direct this one to a fucking chronological short list of philosophical works that'd be fucking great
>>
>>7570794
>>7570813

actually if u shits want to get what nietzsche is anti-thesising then maybe u better start with the hebrews
>>
>>7570745
I recently took a course on Nietzsche. We began by reading The Three Metamorphoses of the Spirit from Thus Spoke Zarathustra and some sections of The Gay Science, but we focused on Beyond Good and Evil and the Genealogy of Morals. I thought it was a great introduction to Nietzsche. Of course you could also go with Ecce Homo for some great chapter titles like "Why I Am So Wise", "Why I Am So Clever", and "Why I Write Such Good Books". In any case, stay away from The Will to Power
>>
>>7570813
Oh you dingus

Just:
Plato
Aristotle
Aquinas
Descartes
Hume
Spinoza
Kant
Hegel
Nietzsche

You can use this and be fine
>>
You might want to read some schopenhauer. Considering Nietzsche considered Schopenhauer to be his teacher and challenged many of his ideas. Shocked to see him not on other people lists.
>>
>>7570877
Probably because they were contemporaries. Sure, Schopy would help, but not necessary to reading. He doesn't give necessary background that can't be gathered from previous philosophers.

tl;dr you can just as easily read Schopy as Nietzsche once you have proficient background knowledge and vice versa
>>
>>7570865
Schopenhauer should be first in the list for OP, and it should include Heraclitus and stoics for good measure.

Why even mention Hegel?
>>
>>7570745
If that is your only choice I would say good luck understanding him at all. To play along with your access limitation I would just say Twilight of the Idols then Thus Spoke Zarathustra is your best bet at understanding the most of his ideas - if you are already atheist and don't care about his bromances or where he is coming from, you just want to see what he is doing.

A good order to read his major significant works after reading lots of other philosophy, he is a philosopher's philosopher after all, is as follows:

The Gay Science, 1882, 1887
Twilight of the Idols, 1888
On the Genealogy of Morals, 1887
<power gap>
Beyond Good and Evil, 1886
<power gap>
Thus Spoke Zarathustra, 1883–5

The rest is needed to understand the man or an underlying intertwined fascete of his major ideas presented here.
>>
>>7570951
Why would you read GM before BGE?
>>
>>7570979
It's more single minded, flows in one direction, and doesn't really require rereads compared to BGE which is it's own beast. Maybe it 'answers' BGE to a certain extent but I think it also sets it up nicely too, perhaps the best order might involve the rereading order too, depends on the person.
>>
>>7571002
>>7571002
I wouldn't say it answers BGE, but it definitely builds on the ideas introduced at the end of BGE. It feels almost like a sequel to me. I'd agree that it's an easier read though.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.