[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone read this or have a pdf?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: Watchmaking.jpg (75 KB, 599x800) Image search: [Google]
Watchmaking.jpg
75 KB, 599x800
Thought this might be an interesting read. I have always been fascinated by the guys making watches by hand and have begun writing a novel about a watchmaker. I want to be able to describe tiny details correctly and this book seems like a good reference. Unfortunately shipping to my country is insanely expensive.
>>
>>7570420
>I have always been fascinated by the guys making watches by hand and have begun writing a novel about a watchmaker.
Heh, I've been plaing with the same idea. I'll be going for something around the thirty years war, and more for turret clocks.
>Unfortunately shipping to my country is insanely expensive.
Where are you from? Give me some details :-)
If you are German by any chance, stick to German and Swiss watchmakling literature. I recently skimmed an excellent German reprint of a book from the 1900s about watch-making. The first chapters were about the problems of "railway-time" and how to determine noontime and other practical applications of astronomy. Older books might have an advantage over modern books.
You surely know that vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWZ--9Uu5yc
>>
I own this and a few other watchmaking books - "The watch repairer's manual" by Henry Fried is really good.

WATCHMAKING is great but it's more to do with creating the parts, with a lathe etc, than repairing or maintenance.

What I suggest is first getting into repairing watches. You can buy broken pocket watches from ebay insanely cheap. I used to buy 20 of them at a time. During all this you'll have to invest in all of the normal watchmaking tools for repairing and maintenancing watches. When you start needing to lathe new parts for broken watches you can make the big investment of a watchmakers lathe and start doing it, there are great youtube channels for it aswell,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCworsKCR-Sx6R6-BnIjS2MA
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRrBWn060CoFZVnsvkWkjUQ
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC28N7nZMQvVTKJmo_pCSfaA
>>
File: logo.png (6 KB, 468x112) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
6 KB, 468x112
>>7570420
>Unfortunately shipping to my country is insanely expensive.
no it's not
>>
>>7571411
>>7570420
Quoting myself because I found the book I was talking about:
It's "Die Uhrmacherlehre" by Julius Hanke. Ordered it for cheap, reprint from 1911. If you can find it online somewhere you'd enjoy the pictures. "Leitfaden für die Uhrmacherlehre" by Sievert looks good, too, a reprint from 1938.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.