[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Literature Analysis
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: pepe hitler.jpg (45 KB, 389x390) Image search: [Google]
pepe hitler.jpg
45 KB, 389x390
What sites do you use for an analysis of a book you just read? Sparknotes and cliffnotes seem to come up first on google searches, but I'm hoping there is something better out there.
>>
>>7569790
>What sites do you use for an analysis of a book you just read?
i use this neat thing called my brain
>>
>>7569798
I'm not as patrician as you. I didn't start with the greeks so I don't understand any of the symbolic references so well.
>>
>>7569820
you won't be able to think deeply about something unless you practice. the best thing is to take a literary analysis class or have someone like a friend read the book and compare what you each took from it. assuming both of those are impossible for you you can try to google specific commentaries.

http://oyc.yale.edu/english/engl-300

I linked a free course that may help you.
>>
>>7570349
It's funny I've watched that Yale classes dozens of times, I don't remember him actually analyzing any text other than Tony The Tow-truck.
>>
>>7569790
>>7570349

Also, check out the Yale class on the Old Testament. I know, you're probably an edgy atheist, but if you want to see how to analyze a text check it out...

http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studies/rlst-145
>>
>>7570366
no the interesting thing about the class is he introduces ideas that YOU have to apply to books YOU read on your own. He isn't going to be there analyzing every text you ever read for you so he tries to show you the guiding principals on the simplest book he can.
>>
>>7569790
only way to really come up with your own original thoughts on the text is to write rigorously about it. come up with a problem you identify in the text. maybe try and relate it to other research of its historical moment. or maybe another of the author's texts. whichever you choose you should try to write a 5 to 10 page thesis driven paper that makes and defends some interesting argument about the text. then you can say you've analyzed it.

as far as websites for research, i use my college's databases. try out JSTOR. you can make a free account and have some articles on a shelf for like a month at a time. or try your local library. if you have access to a university's library all the better. these will have the most resources for research on the texts that get mentioned here.
>>
>>7570396
seems like most of those theories are more useful for understand life than understanding books...structural linguistics and lacanian shit about "the big other" etc. is fascinating shit, but will this help OP figure out what Gravity's Rainbow is about? Probably not.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.