[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I tried to post this on /pol/, but I figure this board is better
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 61n0lxqYvlL_00000.jpg (2 MB, 4572x1411) Image search: [Google]
61n0lxqYvlL_00000.jpg
2 MB, 4572x1411
I tried to post this on /pol/, but I figure this board is better if we're to have an actual conversation What do you think of these books? I got them for Christmas.
>>
2 and 3 are useful to read, 1 is optional, last 2 are garbage
>>
>>7568814

The Wealth of Nations is THE seminal work on optimizing pin-manufacture in a 18th century factory.
>>
>>7568820
Agree with this fella. I'm no economist however. What you could do is see what the recommended reading is for uni courses are in unis like Oxford or Yale.
>>
>>7568820
This, actually.
>>
>>7568820
Sowell is a charlatan.
>>
>>7568820
Why is Plunder and Deceit garbage? It's gotten great reviews within the American conservative culture.

Honestly, about Excuse Me, Professor, I don't know. Why do you think it's garbage?
>>
>>7568878
maybe, maybe not; regardless the book pictured is a pretty straightforward introductory overview of economics, with very little bias/ideology behind it no
>>
>>7568820

i agree with this
>>
>>7568884
pop sci garbage that exploits irrational/uninformed fears about big government/economic recession/blind anti-authoritarianism/establishmentism to sell books. not at all informative.

i never read excuse me professor but do you honestly think a book titled "challenging the myths of progressivism" can be good?

avoid pop sci/mass market targeted books in general, hard to go wrong.
>>
>>7568907
>pop sci garbage that exploits irrational/uninformed fears about big government/economic recession/blind anti-authoritarianism/establishmentism to sell books. not at all informative.
Fair enough. I think it might be a little more than that and less uninformed, since the author includes a myriade of sources, statistics and quotes to argue his view.

>i never read excuse me professor but do you honestly think a book titled "challenging the myths of progressivism" can be good?
It's a collection of essays to rebute common liberal myths like "muh wage gap" and "muh capitalism is bad". It's not as in-depth as Basic Economics or Free to Choose, but it's a condensed collection of short arguments.
>>
>>7568933
all books include sources/statistics/quotes, you can honestly make almost any point you want with selective quoting, out of context citations, and cheery picking of facts and studies. an extensive list of sources means nothing on its own.
>>
>>7568945
That goes both ways. You can make almost any point you want with selective quoting, out of context citations, and cheery picking of facts and studies, in order to support or refute any position of any argument. Doesn't make it a shit book.
>>
>>7568986
its a shit book not because it has those characteristics, it's a shit book for my stated reasons above.

my point was having those characteristics does not necessarily mean anything, good or bad.
>>
>>7568997
I don't live in the US to see if the "fear" of big government etc. is irrational or justified, so this book will be my introduction to it. Hard to see how it's shit taking in account all the good reviews it got.
>>
File: mascolell.jpg (18 KB, 260x344) Image search: [Google]
mascolell.jpg
18 KB, 260x344
Wealth of Nations is good. use the other 4 for firewood and pick this bad boy up. will give you all you need for no-nonsense Economics.
>>
>>7568907
>goys
>>
>>7568820
/thread
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.