[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rank the "Bloom 4" and their works
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1.jpg (45 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
45 KB, 960x540
>1. Pynchon
Gravity's Rainbow > V. > Mason & Dixon > The Crying of Lot 49 > Bleeding Edge
>2. DeLillo
Mao II > White Noise > The Names > Ratner's Star > Underworld > Libra
>3. Roth
American Pastoral > Portnoy's Complaint
>4. McCarthy
Blood Meridian > The Road > No Country for Old Men
>>
The Bloom 4 are Shakespeare, Dante, Cervantes, and I'm not sure who number 4 is. Maybe Chaucer.
>>
>>7568013
I dont wink dat what u tink is his top more is weally a top ofur ciz it is more of is new works you listen he is more like an older guy liker

also you know his favortie is Leopold Bloom you knnow why, its the name you know.
>>
Just gonna rate what I read

>Roth
Nothing

>DeLillo
Americana > Point Omega

>Pynchon
Gravity's Rainbow > Inherent Vice > Bleeding Edge > The Crying of Lot 49

>McCarthy
Outer Dark = Child of God > Blood Meridian > The Road
>>
>>7568038
4 is Whitman
>>
>>7568038
>cervantes
Really? I had no idea he was a fan
>>
>>7568038

number 4 is The Bible, if you want to count it.
>>
>>7568013
You forgot sabbaths theatre
>>
>>7568058
I figured it'd be Crane
>>
1. Delillo

Underworld > Libra ..... eh everything else is kinda bad, but those two are towering.

2. Pynchon

Mason & Dixon > Gravity's Rainbow > Crying of Lot 49 > V .... everything else is bad.

3. Roth

Sabbath's Theater > American Pastoral > I Married a Communist > Zuckerman Quartet > Operation Shylock > The Human Stain > The Counterlife > Portnoy's Complaint > Kopesh books

4. McCarthy

Blood Meridian > Suttree > Child of God > Border Trilogy > Outer Dark > Orchard Keeper
>>
Gravity's Rainbow > M&D > V = The Crying of Lot 49 >> Against The Day > Vineland > Inherent Vice > Bleeding Edge

Underworld > Libra > The Names > Ratner's Star > Mao II > Point Omega > White Noise > The Body Artist > Falling Man > Cosmopolis

American Pastoral > Plot Against America

Suttree > The Border Trilogy > Blood Meridian > No Country for Old Men > Outer Dark > The Counselor > The Road
>>
>>7571134
Cosmopolis wasn't that bad
>>
>>7569464
Good Roth list, but I'd put Communist lower. I recommend My Life as a Man and Patrimony.
>>
>>7569464
Just out of curiosity, what did you find so good about Sabbath's Theater?
>>
>>7571333
Reading about old people having sex is fun
>>
>>7568058
>>7569437
You're both wrong; it's Emily Dickinson.
>>
>>7571377
>>7568058
>>7569437
I'm pretty certain it's Chaucer, actually. He certainly considers those the greatest American poets (along with Stevens), but he made a list of the seven or so greatest literary artists of all time, and they were Shakespeare, Dante, Cervantes, Chaucer, Milton, Homer and the Jahwist. Might have included Virgil too, but idr. Anyway, Shakespeare is definitely number one for him, while Dante and Cervantes are a distant second. Next are Chaucer and Milton, and he ultimately prefers Chaucer. If he were to extend the list a little, he'd also include Plato, Montaigne, Moliere, Goethe, Tolstoy, Joyce and Proust. And you can keep going, of course. But ultimately, I'm pretty sure Chaucer is number 4.
>>
>>7569422
I haven't read it. If I read any more Roth I think it'll be the Zuckerman books, but to be honest I'm not that into him or McCarthy. (But I love the other two).
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.