[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>80 pages. How hard could it be?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
>80 pages. How hard could it be?
>>
>>7567223
>hasn't read Conrad

/out/
>>
>>7567230
>the joke
>your head
>>
>>7567230
Back to reddit
>>
>>7567223
are you trolling OP? that book was easy peasy.
>>
File: dante pepe.jpg (68 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
dante pepe.jpg
68 KB, 600x600
>>7567232
>>7567237

>baiting anons. How hard could it be?
>>
not hard and not long like my dick
>>
>>7567246
>was only pretending to be a dumbass

Textbook reddit
>>
>>7567241
>Forthwith a change came over the waters, and the serenity became less brilliant but more profound. The old river in its broad reach rested unruffled at the decline of day, after ages of good service done to the race that peopled its banks, spread out in the tranquil dignity of a waterway leading to the uttermost ends of the earth. We looked at the venerable stream not in the vivid flush of a short day that comes and departs for ever, but in the august light of abiding memories. And indeed nothing is easier for a man who has, as the phrase goes, "followed the sea" with reverence and affection, than to evoke the great spirit of the past upon the lower reaches of the Thames. The tidal current runs to and fro in its unceasing service, crowded with memories of men and ships it had borne to the rest of home or to the battles of the sea. It had known and served all the men of whom the nation is proud, from Sir Francis Drake to Sir John Franklin, knights all, titled and untitled—the great knights-errant of the sea. It had borne all the ships whose names are like jewels flashing in the night of time, from the Golden Hind returning with her rotund flanks full of treasure, to be visited by the Queen's Highness and thus pass out of the gigantic tale, to the Erebus and Terror, bound on other conquests—and that never returned. It had known the ships and the men. They had sailed from Deptford, from Greenwich, from Erith—the adventurers and the settlers; kings' ships and the ships of men on 'Change; captains, admirals, the dark "interlopers" of the Eastern trade, and the commissioned "generals" of East India fleets. Hunters for gold or pursuers of fame, they all had gone out on that stream, bearing the sword, and often the torch, messengers of the might within the land, bearers of a spark from the sacred fire. What greatness had not floated on the ebb of that river into the mystery of an unknown earth!... The dreams of men, the seed of commonwealths, the germs of empires.
Now imagine yourself reading that as a high school freshman
>>
>>7567256

>so pleb he can't immediately deduce insincerity

>>>/r/books
>>
>>7567263
>he continues to reply

Ouch, reddit much?
>>
>>7567260

sure its a little dense and the sentences are long but there isn't any vocabulary there high school freshmen shouldn't know already
>>
>this whole thread

>>>/gaia/
>>
>>7567266
>talking in the third person

you alright bud?
>>
>>7567267
agree with this guy about >>7567260 , it is dense and not something id speedread, but the idea is pretty clear. also, hes pretty much rambling at some points for poetic effect.
>>
>>7567267
the vocab isn't the problem as much as it is the syntax and diction. Because of this, it would take a person of average intelligence an incredibly long time to read and understand Heart of Darkness despite its length.
>>
*checks the thread* Ooooweeeee, smells like the other website in here.
>>
>>7567223
Oh shit op dont read that, thats the hardest book in the whole damn game!
>>
>>7567279
Sentences aren't that long. Grammar is formal. I don't see the problem at all. (Maybe you're just very fucking dumb.)
>>
>>7567594
Do you want a cookie for being able to read big boy? Well done. Your mummy must be so proud of you.
>>
>>7567594
Apparently you can't read well at all because I am proposing that a high schooler who isn't exactly motivated to take his time and absorb the text would have a very tough time getting into it. You can keep being a cunt though.
>>
>>7568018
Anyone who doesn't want to read will have a hard time reading. There is a bare minimum of effort involved to at least want to attempt to read. If they don't have that, nothing you do will make it happen for them.
>>
File: beermaster.jpg (36 KB, 346x406) Image search: [Google]
beermaster.jpg
36 KB, 346x406
>>7567649
>"this book is hard"
>"no, it's really not compared to other books regularly discussed on /lit/"
>"f-fuck you n-nerd, youre a m-manchild, i know i'll respond with a minimum effort meme"
>>
>>7568155
we were talking normies in high school
>>
>>7568159
like everybody whose read heart of darkness read it in high school
>>
File: 1442210975397.gif (1 MB, 250x233) Image search: [Google]
1442210975397.gif
1 MB, 250x233
>>7568159
See >>7568168
Everybody smart enough to take ap lit (and there were some serious dumbasses in that class) could handle heart of darkness just fine

Why in the fuck did you create a thread complaining about how hard a short, straightforward novella is on a board where pynchon and joyce are discussed all day every day?
>>
File: 1452012622059.gif (518 KB, 625x281) Image search: [Google]
1452012622059.gif
518 KB, 625x281
A teacher recommended me Heart of Darkness in high school but we were never taught it, went on to read a lot of Conrad and become increasingly bitter about the shitty UK syllabus
>>
>>7567267
My high school mates went crosseyed reading it for the first time. I'm not defending being a plebshit but consider that high schoolers standards and abilities have plummeted in recent history.
>>
I'm writing an essay on this book. Can someone give me a topic that isn't blatantly obvious like imperialism?
>>
>>7568466

thats a good point, I should have phrased it to say "any reasonably intelligent freshman with an active interest in literature outside of school"
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.