[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did any philosophers believe in God or religion? Did this affect
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: 1439239256011.jpg (112 KB, 1281x722) Image search: [Google]
1439239256011.jpg
112 KB, 1281x722
Did any philosophers believe in God or religion? Did this affect their philosophy? Most do not, why?
>>
>>7566925
>Did any philosophers believe in God or religion?
>Did this affect their philosophy?
Take a wild guess.
>>
Probably the most known one is Descartes: He reasoned God's existence, but not really convincingly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9_Descartes
>>
This is a literature board. Reading books would have answered your questions.
>>
yes it mostly does, Kierkegaard's philosophy becomes increasingly influenced by his belief in God.
>>
>>7566925
You don't even try to hide it.
>>
Hello!
e
l
l
o
!
>>
File: 1448949315813.png (137 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1448949315813.png
137 KB, 640x480
>>7566925
>>
>>7566925
Wittgenstein was ateish. He didn't believe in God, and as he said, he felt unable to take the leap of faith conscious christians take, but his fondness of christianism and religion in general is reflected in the mysticism that is found in his books, more explicitly in the TLP.
>>
>>7566925
Kant was strongly religious.
It didn't have a lot of weight on his philosophy, considering he even went his way to show how Aquinas' prove of the existence of god was wrong.
>>
>>7566976
You're completely wrong. (Don't waste your time defending yourself. I won't respond. Just educate yourself.)
>>
>>7566983
What an utterly useless fucking post.
>>
It's not often the signs of inoming signs of death are so palpable
>>
>>7566925

Thomas Paine was a Deist
>>
>>7566925
Don't mind all the shitposts; 90% of lit is insecure pedants who are afraid to write something others might critique.

Before the 19th century many philosophers believed in God, gods, or some deistic intelligent designer of the universe. We often look at historical figures through our own modern lens, where 80% of intellectuals are agnostic/ Atheist, but that's an unfair comparison. 1000 years ago we knew almost nothing about how the world worked, but it clearly worked- from that perspective, a God isn't a logical leap, but a natural conclusion.

Yes, being religious affected their philosophy. Early christian philosophers like Aquinas and St. Augustine, and the moral philosophies they created, were strongly influenced by Jesus and the scripture.

The philosophers around the enlightenment, like Descartes and Leibniz, tried to use rationalism to prove God's existence; the existentialist Kierkegaard tried to make sense of our seemingly meaningless existence, without Gods help (though he was a strong believer).

God played a large role in the evolution of western philosophy, and the incremental steps we took away from God are what allowed the formation of today's secular society.
>>
File: giphy.gif (86 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
86 KB, 480x270
>>7566983
The ignorance of some people annoys me more than it should.
Looks like you need to go back to reddit.
>>
Why is /lit/ the easiest board to troll?
>>
>>7568411
We're going through an unfortunate period of hypersensitivity and subsequently reactionism to Reddit, it'll all go away in a month just like last time
>>
>>7567847
>where 80% of intellectuals are agnostic/ Atheist,
>implying
>>
Spinoza was very religious; his Ethics is an attempt to prove, among other things, that there is only one thing in the universe, and that it is God.
>>
>>7566983
Never fucking reply to me again unless you`re contributing to the thread.
>>
File: 1355205746802.png (197 KB, 294x295) Image search: [Google]
1355205746802.png
197 KB, 294x295
>>7566925
is this a real fucking question?

Are you some 14-year-old fedora tipper?
>>
>>7569957
Spinoza was an atheist pretending to be religious
>>
>>7570272
Perhaps you'd deem him "spiritual"? What do you deem as religious? Strictly monotheistic?
>>
Did any. . . philosophers . . . believe . . . in God. .? Well there's Saint Augustine, and Saint Thomas Aquinas for starters. They're pretty important to philosophy, and they sound kind of religious. Does your computer have google? If you type things in there besides Richard Dawkins, it still works.
>>
>>7570272
>>7570304
He was a pantheist
>>
File: 1452384589742.png (255 KB, 486x437) Image search: [Google]
1452384589742.png
255 KB, 486x437

HAVE YOU NEVER READ ANYTHING AT ALL

AT ALL?
>>
>>7570417
>If you type things in there besides Richard Dawkins, it still works.

Bullshit.
>>
Holy shit I know we always meme'd reddit was a bunch of raging fedora tipping atheists but my god. They are among us.
>>
>>7566925
yes
yes
thats not true
>>
>>7567508
>It's not often the signs of inoming the signs of often signs of death are so palpable
>>
>>7570272
I would disagree but I guess that's going to depend on how you're defining religion.
>>
>>7567847
>We often look at historical figures through our own modern lens, where 80% of intellectuals are agnostic/ Atheist
Wrong, there are no intelligent atheists.
>1000 years ago we knew almost nothing about how the world worked, but it clearly worked- from that perspective, a God isn't a logical leap, but a natural conclusion.
Stupid positivismposters.
>>
>>7568411
our mods are literally either illiterate weebs or straight off the boat from r/books.

if you don't believe me ask yourself why Teryy Pratchett got a sticky when he died but Gunter Grass didn't
>>
>>7570839
gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8
>>
>>7570439
yes and no.. it would not be correct to label him as a pantheist
>>
>>7570269
the redditor influx is to blame i suspect
>>
>>7566925
No philosopher was ever dumb enough to unironically believe in god. Philosophers entertain the idea of god for the sake of philosophical inquiry.
>>
>>7566925
>>>//his/phil
Sage and report thread guys.
>>
>>7570272
Spinoza was next level troll if that was the case because a lot of people refused to be stuck in a conversation with him because he wouldn't stop evangelizing on the matter
>>
>>7571220
why not?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.