[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>he only reads books that other people recommend >he only
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
>he only reads books that other people recommend
>he only reads books that /lit recommends
>he doesn't acknowledge his own taste but reads in order to be "well-read"
>he thinks that being literary makes life more romantic
>he only reads 800+ page maximalist novels
>>
>the opposite of everything OP said
>disgusted reaction imagine face.jpg

etc.
>>
>>7563899
>>he only reads 800+ page maximalist novels
How many of those even exist? I can't imagine there being that many of them unless you lump in scifi/fantasy garbage that's "maximalist" by virtue of taking thousands of pages to tell a story in.
>>
>>7563899
>he can only post on /lit/ by shitposting
>he will get banned
>>
So, you just walk into the book store and grab things randomly off the shelf, rather than allow people who know what they're talking about to guide you?
>>
>>7563931
I'm not him but you could always just look up authors you like and see who they were influenced by/who they influenced and keep branching out that way in both directions without necessarily asking for recommendations.
>>
>>7563941
so you always end up at the greeks... nice way to break out of /lit/ faggot
>>
You must rely on something to help you separate the wheat from the chaff, and it's either other people's opinions or advertising.
>>
>>7563941
I'm not the guy you're responding too but is much easier and faster to have recomendations and go from there.
>>
>>7563949
>both directions
>>
There's nothing wrong with having your book selections influenced by other people, but you really ought to have more than one source of input. If /lit/ is your sole contact with the literary world, or "lit chat" then you might end up with a strange and narrow experience of it.
>>
>>7563950
DFW wrote an essay about that, "Deciderization" in Both Flesh and Not. It's pretty interesting.
>>
>>7563966
Mmm... What doesn't /lit/ cover, though? A few lesser-known names here and there. The broad strokes, though... There's no Deep Literature that you graduate to after Shakespeare and Homer.
>>
File: MartinLuther.jpg (155 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
MartinLuther.jpg
155 KB, 1200x1200
>he sub-vocalizes
>>
>>7565017
Kek, back then they only read out loud. What a world, the intelligent back then would always read aloud and now some people pretend that subvocalizing is a stupid thing to do
>>
>>7563988
>litizens actually believe this

This is exactly what he was talking about desu
>>
I started reading hardcore two months ago. Read 1984 and of mice and men. Thinking of starting finnegans Wake and infinite Jest.
>>
File: pretentious.jpg (136 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
pretentious.jpg
136 KB, 500x335
>He always bashes fiction and only reads non-fiction in order to fit a certain mold.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.