[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you listen to music while reading?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10
File: 1417013828107.jpg (78 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
1417013828107.jpg
78 KB, 800x533
Do you listen to music while reading?
>>
File: 1451537160893.png (609 KB, 805x741) Image search: [Google]
1451537160893.png
609 KB, 805x741
>>
Consciousness has a capacity, you know. If you're hearing music, you're concentrating less on what you're reading.
>>
>>7563536
why do we always have the exact same fucking threads, don't you have some books to read?
>>
>>7563536

No, I don't. Listening to music while reading actually splits the prefrontal cortex and makes concentration harder. Overall, I find that music mitigates a pleasurable reading experience but perhaps that's just me. When I get a good book, I prefer a quiet room, comfortable chair, glass of gin or scotch and I'm set.
>>
>>7563536
Is that Alizee?
>>
>>7563564
>Music lowers concentration
>Somehow alcohol doesn't

Hmm
>>
imagine if there was a website dedicated to archiving prior posts on /lit/

wouldn't that be nuts?
>>
>>7563580

Getting drunk certainly does. Having a sip of something nice after every chapter is quite harmless.

Quick question. Do you have autism?
>>
>>7563536
Try these, theyr really set the mood, don't they?
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LblmCsBLhWU
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEyR4MTxI6E
>>
>this thread again
>>
>>7563594
lmao
>>
>>7563545
Sometimes you have to much focus and must divide it
>>
/mu/ here, you plebs ever heard of ambient music?
>>
>>7563688

Aphex Twin is incredible. Richard D James is probably one of my favourite musicians.
>>
>>7563604
>mfw listening to this and reading The Republic
this isn't even that bad guys.
>>
File: 325324.gif (878 KB, 350x260) Image search: [Google]
325324.gif
878 KB, 350x260
I sometimes listen to recordings of the sound of rainfall or a train.
>>
who is this sperm wyrm?
>>
>>7563594
Blasting music on full volume certainly does. Having some music softly on the background is quite harmless.

Quick question, do you have autism?
>>
I listen to TLOTR soundtrack while reading TLOTR
>>
>>7563536
i yjink her very cutesy ther way her bangs lay down in the air, and the way her eyes give that almost I know kind fo f look to you, the red and then cut bangs that ware not uniform but messy and her sidways slu mouth its seductive I would say, and I also like how the pintcutre is taken at a slight angel as it her body so it gives impression of movemovent or of just actuib so its orivatcative too I like classical sometimes and ambient others =, but never lyrics and usually loq columw
>>
only when in loud ass ambient.

give Buckethead - Colma a try

FUCKING GOLD
>>
File: 1440801092427.gif (3 MB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
1440801092427.gif
3 MB, 480x320
>>7563688

>/mu/
>>
>>7564432
You could post that same gif and just change the text to >/lit/
>>
>>7563536
Who's this SEMEN DEMON?
>>
>>7564436
That's a great idea, you should try it!
>>
>>7563688
Just Eno and Hecker

I'm more of a post-rock guy
>>
>>7563824

Actually that's not how it works. Neuroscience major here. Nice try though.
>>
>>7566368
How does it work then senpai?
>>
>>7563545

>I couldn't rub my tummy and pat my head as a kid
>>
>>7563782
Try noisli, I think you'll like it
>>
>>7566394

The prefrontal cortex is split when listening to music and reading simultaneously, even if it's at a low pitch.

Read about the following experiment

http://news.sciencemag.org/2010/04/multitasking-splits-brain
>>
>>7566409
Thanks nigga
>>
I like reading outdoors. The sounds of the city or of nature, however loud, don't seem to faze me. Lately I've found that I love to hear a large diesel engine idling nearby as I read. I go to the train station and find the nearest bench to an idling locomotive and sit there to read until that train leaves, then move to another platform. I glance sideways sometimes and see the railway workers looking at me either condescendingly or as if somewhat disturbed. They must think I'm either some kind of locomotive pervert or a terrorist (it doesn't help that I have an "ethnic" look), the book being just my flimsy diversion.

The one time I heard them snort in amusement was when the driver sounded the horn unexpectedly and I gasped loudly and almost dropped the book. Must have done it on purpose. Now I've trained myself to show at most a slight and dignified startle with minimal hand quaking when the sneaky toot comes.
>>
>>7566409
This is why I play an 8 hour box fan in the background while I read to drown out the sound. Makes things so much easier not listening to everything else in the world.
>>
>>7566419

No problem anon
>>
>>7563688
Mate I revere ambient music, but "listening" to it while reading is still a deep mistake.
>>
>>7566409

i dont know what the fuck you listen to when reading but you're doing it wrong

i have a hard time focusing on what i read when i dont have music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HWJZaA_TlA

listen to something that fits what you read there will be no trouble, but i get that it will fuck you up if you listen to something that is not fitting with what you read, i felt it and im careful with my music selection
>>
>>7563536
Usually ambient and drone at a low volume. I know that sounds mundane but it's actually very comforting and motivating while I'm reading for long periods of time. William Basinski's Disintegration Loops works wonders for me.
>>
Field recordings are perfect for this, OP.
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 350x464) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 350x464
>>7566448
>sneaky toot
This made me laugh, thanks anon.
>>
>>7566455
Tfw I find reading easier with fan noise from my laptop, so now I up the minimum RPM until it's suitably loud

I don't feel like this is healthy
>>
t r a v i s

s c o t t
>>
>>7566907

where do i find good ones to listen to?
>>
>>7563536
If the music informs my capacity to interpret whatever it is I'm reading, sure - it doesn't necessarily diminish your concentration. sometimes there can be such an experience of unity between text and piece that often it feels like you've taken away so much more than what might've been gained in silence. It might be in part to do with my synesthesia, but it can be really emotionally affecting
>>
reading blood meridian and listening to brian enos ambient 4/on land right now. Pretty cool, sets the mood and doesn't disrupt my concentration desu senpai
>>
>>7567337
also it helps against my tinnitus so thats nice
>>
>>7566368
Implying that not every neuroscience student is autistic.
>>
File: none.jpg (54 KB, 635x639) Image search: [Google]
none.jpg
54 KB, 635x639
>>7567368
>tfw dated a neuroscience girl
>beautiful, funny, effortlessly intelligent, incredibly talented at music and composition
>tfw got dumped because I was working stupidly long hours just so I wouldn't drop out of uni and could stay with her

They're not all autistic, anon. An autist could never break a heart this severely
>>
Occasionally. Silence can be deafening. A few favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDEIukEnIwU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL998ajnjN4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgJU96KxuaY

Looking for more familia so hit me up with some reccs
>>
File: nigger music.jpg (576 KB, 1582x1627) Image search: [Google]
nigger music.jpg
576 KB, 1582x1627
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdJWZxPW45c

Are people today really so afraid of silence that they'll degrade good music to muzak? Music like this is used to make people docile in supermarkets and restaurants. Even people sit on a computer with music in the background, they can't be alone. Without a distraction we realise that we have nothing to say and that our thoughts are empty. Silence is also emptiness and nothingness which is terrifying to modern people, because no one ever dies! the centuries are just imaginary, don't think about them!

Most music is subtle propaganda..
>>
>>7563594
>>7563824
I have autism.
>>
File: Cringe.png (220 KB, 347x440) Image search: [Google]
Cringe.png
220 KB, 347x440
>>7563536
Absolutely not. Complete silence with earplugs
>>
>>7563536
No. I did classical music for a little while, and while I can read while listening, I noticed that I am much slower. You may not realize it but your brain is registering all those individual notes playing on the music.

Simply by acknowledging that you are hearing a song is to be using your mind on that instead of wear you should be giving your undivided attention, the book. You filter out all the small noises in any given room, but with music it will divide your attention.
>>
File: 1386311254159.gif (2 MB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
1386311254159.gif
2 MB, 240x180
>>7569357
>wear

opps, you know what I meant
>>
I stumbled across a Japanese composer called Takashi Yoshimatsu, and I really like listening to his pieces while I read. Not sure why really, they're just simple and relaxing, which is a nice combo when you're trying to focus on something else.
>>
>>7566368
>I'm recently enrolled in a particular college program. This makes me an expert on this topic.

students are insufferable desuga
>>
The Notre Dame school
>>7563688
Ambient music is trash.
>>
>>7570581

I'm finishing 4th year. But even if I were recently enrolled, so what? That wouldn't make what I said any less true, and I have the science to back it up. Don't see why you're so mad.
>>
>>7570622
You're not an authority. Don't reply to my posts, you disgusting rape apologist.
>>
>>7570654

top cuck. Submit to me, plebian sheep.
>>
>>7570670
Only thing I sumbit is posts like this one, jewboy.
>>
>>7570713

Wow. Antisemite detected. We need to exterminate vermin like you.
>>
>>7563688
yeah, stuff like marsen jules is great for reading
>>
>>7570754
>>7570713
Shut the fuck up
>>
>>7566400
Holy fuck anon thanks
This shit is great
>>
>>7563536
Ya, listening to some Bowie now.
>>
>>7563688
>/mu/ here
stopped reading there
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.