[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel about eternal return?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: Serpiente_alquimica.jpg (147 KB, 625x621) Image search: [Google]
Serpiente_alquimica.jpg
147 KB, 625x621
How do you feel about eternal return?
>>
A load of bull.
>>
Explain further.
>>
>>7563503
What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more' ... Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: 'You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine.' - The Gay Science
>>
>>7563498
Unfalsifiable nonsense
>>
It is not presented as fact, it is based on a limited view of thermodynamics (which at the time was not as limited tbf)..the point of it is rhetorical exercise...kind of like the "p zombie" refutation of behavioralism. Personally I am a hard determinist and agree with the concept of "amore fatu" regardless of whether as fags in this thread seem to think that psychological concepts must correspond to reality (lrn2wittgenstein shitheels)
>>
>>7563500
Explain your criticism further, or you bore us.
>>
>>7563517
I hope that in my lifetime I will experience that tremendous moment.
>>
>>7563523
Way to miss the point
>>
File: p14569_d_v7_aa.jpg (182 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
p14569_d_v7_aa.jpg
182 KB, 480x720
i feel like my understanding of it may not be up to par
>>
The Way
>>
File: comfy gondola.jpg (133 KB, 717x508) Image search: [Google]
comfy gondola.jpg
133 KB, 717x508
I would be entirely okay with recurring eternally. Not in the way Nietzsche wanted though, I think.
>>
>>7563498
Seems like rather a lot of bother over nothing if you ask me
>>
It's just a random fucking "what if?". It doesn't pull at my heart or entice me in any way.

DUDE, WHAT IF TIME LOOPd? The fact that I have no memory of the times I've lived this life before means that it makes no fucking difference if it loops or not.

Looptime is a degenerate oriental concept that fits together perfectly with their passive, feminized philosophy (ok desu I respect the dharmic religions but they're not my thing).
>>
Would an example of this be Tatami Galaxy?
>>
>>7564081
>Religions which base themselves around attaining the end of the wheel of reincarnation.
>Looping
You dumb motherfucker, the concept of karma and reincarnation are inherently progressivist.

And Taoism isn't about eternal recurrence either, so I'm not sure where you're getting it being "oriental".

>>7564087
Not really. You could think of it as an example of Amor Fati though.
>>
>>7563498
>not calling out insatiably 'da capo', not only to yourself but to the entire play and spectacle, and not only to a spectacle but basically to the man that needs this particular spectacle and who makes the spectacle necessary, because over and over he needs himself - and makes himself necessary.

Fucking normies.
>>
File: 1452362985111.jpg (6 KB, 354x200) Image search: [Google]
1452362985111.jpg
6 KB, 354x200
>>7563498
I'd consider evolution and the philosophy presented in the principle of the process, and come to the realization that life must be transcended somehow; id est: I must evolve.
>>
I had a DMT trip where I learned that eternal return is the truth. I scratched my neck up really bad during.

Obviously it's a hypothetical, but for about a month I was convinced otherwise.

Anyway, I shaped the fuck up, stopped using heroin/crack/alcohol, and went back to school.

thank you based eternal return
>>
File: 72.jpg (62 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
72.jpg
62 KB, 850x400
>>
>>7564551
You don't understand evolution.
>>
>>7564081
Fucking dwarf. The gate opens backwards.
>>
I don't think it's real, but it's a great philosophy to live by.
Live your life as if it would be repeated forever. I think, that way, you'd really do the things you want instead of sitting around moping all day.
>>
>>7564623
My opinion matches yours. Neither do you
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.